edge router eBGP hardware in 2022 - not a walk in da park at all?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Kinda thought that anything around 1 maybe 2k USD used router would do the job, no? For starters that'll be dual 1gbit uplink or so. I see from some reddit posts that mikrotik can do the job, ubi and maybe even fortigate but that's all sub-optimal. I kinda naively thought I can get away with some 5-7 year old cisco or something that would do the trick of holding entire internet tables but I was wrong?
I saw that even arista 7050 switch that I have appears to not be able to eat even the whole ipv6 table, ipv4 would not even start. Which was quite a surprise.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
you want a full bgp view? probably any mikrotik CCR released after 2020 can hold one table(as an example, CCR2004-16G-2S+PC for $500). or you can use a modest server.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Yes, full v4 and v6. I saw recommendations for mt, but had some issues even with switches. MT is super cheap and kinda feels even less reliable than software router. Not that I can try it out right now but the overall picture in my head is pretty much like I said. Am I wrong?
If I want to go a real "router" hardware, enterprise grade, jun, brocade, anything else, that is second-hand but can still run today, that's probably never gonna cost less than 2k? I remember reading this wonderful blog Creating an Autonomous System for Fun and Profit but his router was dated and probably is hitting limits now as ipv4 has grown since the year he deployed it.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Well I do have a valid justification, I just don't know much about the hardware side of things. For starters just renting some addresses from DC is fine but I'd love to have full control and flexibility that comes with own AS and prefixes.
Otherwise yeah, why won't you just give out ipv6 to everyone without any requirements.

Last edited:

discoeels

May 8, 2013
Well I do have a valid justification, I just don't know much about the hardware side of things. For starters just renting some addresses from DC is fine but I'd love to have full control and flexibility that comes with own AS and prefixes.
Otherwise yeah, why won't you just give out ipv6 to everyone without any requirements.
Oh, I meant for myself; I don't have one. There would be no point to it(for me) anyway.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
They are actually gonna handle internet sized tables better than any designated hardware under 1-2k? That's the question I'd like to know the answer to.

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
Yes, full v4 and v6. I saw recommendations for mt, but had some issues even with switches. MT is super cheap and kinda feels even less reliable than software router. Not that I can try it out right now but the overall picture in my head is pretty much like I said. Am I wrong?
If I want to go a real "router" hardware, enterprise grade, jun, brocade, anything else, that is second-hand but can still run today, that's probably never gonna cost less than 2k? I remember reading this wonderful blog Creating an Autonomous System for Fun and Profit but his router was dated and probably is hitting limits now as ipv4 has grown since the year he deployed it.
I understand that MT has made improvements with Version 7.

Here are some details

MikroTik – RouterOS v7 – BGP performance testing for full tables

They also have a VM to simulate a 500k BGP Table which I've yet to test.

Put 500,000+ BGP routes in your lab network!!! Download this VM and become your own upstream BGP ISP for testing

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
@fohdeesha turned out it didn't went unnoticed, it was actually on yahoo japan auctions, and assumed noone would need it. two bots were betting on it for 12 straight hours, ending at about 3.1k USD. also seller wasn't savvy at all and they won't accept a return if module would turn out to be broken, or any other reason, at which point i dropped my considerations to buy it.
On the other hand I really need someone who's willing to spend some time with me explaining the basics and recommend some routers. Time paid of course.