EXPIRED Edge 610 (Dell VEP1400) - Dual Core Intel, 6x1GbE, 2x1GbSFP+ $100 (eBay)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Yeah, sounds like the WDT or CPLD. Make sure you have all firmwares up-to-date (can be downloaded freely from Dell's site and installed on both the Diag-OS or any other Linux OS).

WDT can be disabled from the UEFI settings, but OpnSense usually does a good job of disabling/enabling the ports. As for the interfaces: there should be 4 'standard' ports, 2 SFP and 2 Gigabit off of the SFP NIC; the extra ports on the SFP NIC need to have their speed/duplex set manually if the CPLD uses an old firmware.

By the way, it is possible the storage is next to the SoC under the heatsink.

Reactions: Samir

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I'm not able to get the Diag OS install to work, which I believe I need to do, to do any firmware updates

Code:
rootfs copy done
Success: Support tarball created: /tmp/tmp.PwdwAc/onie-support-dellemc_vep1400_c3538.tar.bz2
Updating diag-os ver in system-eeprom
Diagos ver 3.43.3.81-26
Deleting TLV 0x2e: Diag Version
Adding   TLV 0x2e: Diag Version
Programming passed.
TlvInfo Header:
   Id String:    TlvInfo
   Version:      1
   Total Length: 177
TLV Name             Code Len Value
-------------------- ---- --- -----
Product Name         0x21   7 EDGE610
Part Number          0x22   6 0XNY90
<snip />
Device Version       0x26   1 1
Label Revision       0x27   3 A00
Platform Name        0x28  22 x86_64-dellemc_edge610
Manufacturer         0x2B   5 DNG00
Country Code         0x2C   2 TW
Vendor Name          0x2D   8 Dell EMC
Service Tag          0x2F   7 5XR9V43
Vendor Extension     0xFD  21  0x00 0x00 0x02 0xA2 0x20 0xD8 0x74 0x09 0xF4 0xCC 0x10 0x40 0x72 0xBF 0x1B 0xE7 0x9C 0x9C 0xA4 0x3E 0xA2
Diag Version         0x2E  12 3.43.3.81-26
CRC-32               0xFE   4 0x10026DA7
Checksum is valid.
[VEP1400] Board ID : 0x00
rootfs install ok

Mounted /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /tmp/tmp.pdwFE3

Installing grub for diag-os
ERROR: grub-install failed on: /dev/mmcblk0
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible.
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is disc                                     ouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
Removing /tmp/tmp.dvF07y
Failure: Unable to install image: /diag-installer-x86_64-dellemc_vep1400_c3538-r0-3.43.3.81-26-2022-03-01.bin
This should be not reachable unless something wrong is there!!!!!
I'll do another Linux install, I guess, and try to update the firmware.

Yes, I'm also seeing my unit hit the watchdog and restart.

EDIT: I'm not sure the VEP1425 matches the unit I have; when I attempted the firmware update just now (got 3.48.0.9-19, A01 package from Support for Dell EMC Networking VEP1425/VEP1445/VEP1485 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US ) and I got

Code:
    ===== Update ALL Images =====

[Update BIOS Image]
BIOS image does not match target platform

[Update CPLD Image]
     Upgrade version is older than the current CPLD image
     (upgrade version = 0x29, programmed image version = 0x33)
     Do you still want to continue (y\n): n

[Update PIC Image]
     PIC image is /tmp/fw/N1406_App_V20P_220223.bin
     After update is completed, PIC will automatically re-enter AppCode and cause a reboot.
     Updating image...| 11, 32, 15, 00068001, 19, 00068000,
EDIT: Yes, my interfaces also don't link in OPNSense 23.1 in live mode, and my USB console is also not responsive/I can't login locally.

Last edited:

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
After being powered on for 5 minutes it always power cycles and reboots itself. Did anyone else see this? Is there something in the bios I need to change?
In OpnSense (live running off USB) I can only see 4 interfaces ix0 thru ix3, all labeled "Intel X553 L (KR Backplane)" and I'm not able to get a link on any of the ports. Anyone have any ideas?
Will it run FreeBSD ? [Embedded Version] has some useful information. You need to put the DIAG-OS in place, for the watchdog not to kick, looks like.

This is beginning to feel like a $53 trap I fell into, since other people have already spent time trying to get FreeBSD to see the interfaces/get them working.

I can't recommend this rig with no ethernet.

Last edited:

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
It seems like your unit has set everything to a mix of CSM and UEFI, that will indeed not work.

The serial console for example will not work with console redirection is on, and GRUB won't install EFI on a BIOS loaded partition scheme.

I would recommend setting the partition to GPT, removing the MBR signature and disabling the CSM and disabling console redirection.

Reactions: abq and Samir

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Gotcha. I'm less concerned about the watchdog or even grub -- that's fixable, I agree, probably via CSM/various UEFI settings. (To be clear though, I have CSM disabled, and the partition is already a GPT one)

I'm primarily concerned with the NICs: I'd like to see them link. I tried Debian (and vyos), pfSense and OPNSense and the NICs would link in none of them. Do you have any experience with getting the 610's NICs to link in Linux or *BSD? How did you get the NICs to behave? (Here, I also imagine there's something that's possible, I just wasn't expecting to have an investigation to get the NICs to link, or to read others having already tried, unsuccessfully, to get the NICs to work in Linux or *BSD)

Last edited:

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
My NICs linked immediately after being on the latest CPLD version, they also linked when in ONIE and Diag-OS. They are 'off' by default, so an ip/ifconfig command to bring them up is required; but once you have booted at least once into Diag-OS with a recent enough CPLD they default to 'on' so you don't have to manually power them up anymore.

These are the lowest versions I ever received and everything automatically works on those (VEP14xx the 4 core model):

Code:
root@dellemc-diag-os:/opt/dellemc/diag/bin# ./updatetool  -D cc26x0  -V
cc26x0 version:
User Revision Number: 0x0003
BLE Stack Version: 02.02.02
Stack Build Version: 0x196E

root@dellemc-diag-os:/opt/dellemc/diag/bin# ./updatetool  -D BIOS  -V                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
BIOS version:
3.48.0.9-5

root@dellemc-diag-os:/opt/dellemc/diag/bin# ./updatetool  -D CPLD  -V                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
CPLD version:

root@dellemc-diag-os:/opt/dellemc/diag/bin# ./updatetool  -D PIC  -V                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
PIC version:
v20J
By the way, I never had anything running on CSM/BIOS Emulation mode, I always immediately switched them to UEFI only mode because UEFI is much better at serial stuff. If for some reason the device behaves differently based on what type of firmware it is running that might have a bigger impact than I imagine.

I think the very latest firmware also boots much more verbose than any previous versions:

Code:
BIOS Boot Selector for VEP1400-X
Version 3.48.0.9-19
Board_Init()
        Boot_ok GPIO: 0x45000200, Timer Disable 0x45000200
This seems to indicate it disabled a WDT pre-boot so the OS can re-enable it if it supports it.

Edit: if you can post the first part of the boot text from your device I can probably find the support package, they are all named the same (regardless of the digital locker button on Dell's site - it's in the release notes and that is the same as the entire VEP1400-X product line).

Last edited:
Reactions: abq and Samir

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I think the very latest firmware also boots much more verbose than any previous versions:

Code:
BIOS Boot Selector for VEP1400-X
Version 3.48.0.9-19
Board_Init()
        Boot_ok GPIO: 0x45000200, Timer Disable 0x45000200
This seems to indicate it disabled a WDT pre-boot so the OS can re-enable it if it supports it.

Edit: if you can post the first part of the boot text from your device I can probably find the support package, they are all named the same (regardless of the digital locker button on Dell's site - it's in the release notes and that is the same as the entire VEP1400-X product line).
I didn't make any BIOS/UEFI changes. I guess it just came with CSM enabled.

Great! I'm not able to find a package that "agrees" to update the BIOS on my unit. Any links/pointers would be appreciated - I tried to dig around a bit, but was unsuccessful: (Is this what you're looking for?)

Code:
11, 32, 15, 00068001, 19, 00068000,

BIOS Boot Selector for VEP1400
Version 3.43.0.9-11

POST Configuration
  CPU Signature 506F1
  CPU FamilyID=6, Model=5F, SteppingId=1, Processor=0
  Microcode Revision 2E
  Platform ID: 0x0
  PMG_CST_CFG_CTL: 0x37
  Misc EN: 0x4000840089
  Gen PM ConA: 0xA0800200
  Therm Status: 0x8000000
  POST Control=0xEA000301, Status=0xE600DF00

BIOS initializations...

CPGC Memtest Channel 0 ...................... PASS

RTC date 1/1/2008 21:07:45

POST SPD test ............................... PASS

POST Lower DRAM Memory test .........
POST ECC Test ............................... PASS

Version 2.19.1266. Copyright (C) 2020 American Megatrends, Inc.
BIOS Date: 05/29/2020 14:21:14 Ver: 0ACHI040
Press <DEL> or <F2> to enter setup.
And when I attempt to do the upgrade from diag os, I get:

Code:
    ===== Update ALL Images =====

[Update BIOS Image]
BIOS image does not match target platform

[Update CPLD Image]
     Upgrade version is older than the current CPLD image
     (upgrade version = 0x07, programmed image version = 0x33)
     Do you still want to continue (y\n):
And I haven't attempted a CPLD downgrade; it feels like this package doesn't match the platform I have...?

Code:
root@dellemc-diag-os:/opt/dellemc/diag/bin# ./updatetool  -D cc26x0  -V
cc26x0 version:
User Revision Number: 0x0002
BLE Stack Version: 02.02.02
Stack Build Version: 0x196E

root@dellemc-diag-os:/opt/dellemc/diag/bin# ./updatetool  -D BIOS  -V
BIOS version:
3.43.0.9-11

root@dellemc-diag-os:/opt/dellemc/diag/bin# ./updatetool  -D CPLD  -V
CPLD version:

root@dellemc-diag-os:/opt/dellemc/diag/bin# ./updatetool  -D PIC  -V
PIC version:
v30N

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and oneplane

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
It looks like this is indeed a slightly older version of the firmware, it doesn't pre-stop the WDT which will indeed cause the reset and probably also means it has the old CPLD firmware. As expected they have divided the platforms between VEP1400 and VEP1400-X where the X one is the 10Gig SFP version.

The firmware is based on the same 0ACHI040 release as mine, so it should already have all the power control and WDT control software. Does your unit not have networking in Diag-OS mode either? (should be a matter of plugging in the cable and doing a ifconfig eth0 up or whatever the interface name is). If that doesn't play ball, we might have to check whatever software it already has and look inside rc.local, all Dell's ONIE and Diag-OS releases have a bunch of i2cwrite commands in there that control the CPLD and PIC, so if needed we can add those as early boot commands (both in Linux and BSD). I only use the i2c writes to enable SFP power management, fan speed adjustment and brownout detection, but I leave all the other options on 'default' and let the notice ICH watchdog driver handle the watchdog.

I'm surprised there isn't a System Agent / Chipset item in your UEFI settings that contains the Watchdog disable/enable option.

Edit: I've found a new-in-box one with an active support subscription so I'll just ask Dell for a UFW+Diag package.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and tasort

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Yup, I have link in Diag OS.

My ONIE (default?) installation got blown away, I'm not sure how to restore it. I guess it doesn't matter.

I'm trying to get OPNSense or pfSense working on the eMMC: (I apologize; I'm being dense.)
  1. CSM is off, but when I install (for example) pfSense, the serial console becomes unresponsive. Which specific settings should I change in the BIOS so I don't lose keyboard, so I can attempt settings changes?
    Failing that, how do I update the CPLD so the NICs are up at boot?
  2. How do I deal with the watchdog kicking the system? I think you'd said firmware updates were necessary, but I'm not able to find any suitable update package to change the behaviour. Where is the setting to disable the WDT?
Thanks for your help and suggestions!

EDIT: I'm trying OPNSense again with the OPNsense-23.1-OpenSSL-vga-amd64 image... nah, still don't get responsive console after the system boots, and the NICs are down. I can't bring them up...

Last edited:

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I tried disabling COM0 and enabling COM1. OPNsense console still doesn't work.... and now I can't get back into the BIOS. I took the CMOS battery out -- this didn't wipe settings. How can I load BIOS defaults? :)

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I'm surprised there isn't a System Agent / Chipset item in your UEFI settings that contains the Watchdog disable/enable option.

Edit: I've found a new-in-box one with an active support subscription so I'll just ask Dell for a UFW+Diag package.
  • Yeah, I've looked thru the BIOS/UEFI pretty exhaustively...
  • Cool - thank you!

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
It looks like this is indeed a slightly older version of the firmware, it doesn't pre-stop the WDT which will indeed cause the reset and probably also means it has the old CPLD firmware. As expected they have divided the platforms between VEP1400 and VEP1400-X where the X one is the 10Gig SFP version.

Let me know when you hear back, when you get a sec. I'd love to get things updated :) Thank you for your help and time!

Reactions: Samir and tasort

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Mine hasn't arrived yet, I'm super curious to take it apart, take a dump of the flash etc. and use it's serial & tag to get Dell to send me a software package... I'll post once it's in!

Reactions: Samir and abq

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
Just want to say that, since the deal is gone, all advice and tweakings from @oneplane & @j_h_o deserve its own thread in the Network subforum, so all this knowledge won't sink down to the bottom of "Great Deals" and be forgotten.

After reading the firsts posts I found a deal for what it seems 2 x VMware 680. Still waiting them but, if deal it's not an scam, I can take some pics and/or do tests if you need them.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
Got mine today, but cannot connect with putty no matter what I try.
Drivers for my serial cable are "prolific", and if I change them to the recommended Silicon Labs CP210x, Putty cannot connect.
Which cable are you using/do you recommend?
Mine is a Sabrent USB to DB9 + a Dell VPNP6 DB9 to Mini-USB + Mini USB to Micro USB Adapter.
Should I seek a serial PCIe card better than my cable(s)?

Nevermind, I've just use an USB to micro USB cable directly and now I can see the BIOS setup.
Will continue tinkering when I have some spare time

Last edited:

eloich

Jan 12, 2021
Got the same problems as @tasort & @j_h_o: the unit reboots after 5 minutes.
Time to collect as much info as I can and try different things.
Will keep this thread updated with my findings.
Looking forward to read about your results/findings.

Long time lurker here, and long story short, I picked up a 620 from ebay (the unit that has 2 SFP+ ports, 8Gb of RAM) and have started playing around.

What I've found so far:
  • One good thing about this unit: no need for a special serial console cable; just a regular USB to micro USB cable will do the trick. Console settings are as follows, if you're interested: 115200,cs8,-ixon,-ixoff,istrip . Used the screen command on a linux system (replace the ttyUSBn with the actual port you're using):
    Bash:
    sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200,cs8,-ixon,-ixoff,istrip
  • The unit I received was totally wiped and I had to load Dell's DiagOS from Dell Support
  • I then proceeded to try to install anything, but the watchdog kept the unit rebooting every 5ish minutes
  • I grabbed the VEP-1405x bios file (from Dell Support again) and loaded it using the DiagOS. This takes you through a couple of hoops, and after an initial reboot, you enter the command again, then it's a 4 step flash, one of them being flashing CPLD, which initially failed, but it succeeded at second attempt (after complete reboot and restart of the whole process)
  • I then managed to install pfSense on the unit (what I'm using and hey, had a USB stick nearby and ready). Now, watchdog nowhere to be seen (good!) but FreeBSD only sees both SFP+ ports. Plugged in a couple of SFP+ RJ45 adapters and both interfaces appear to work (can't confirm speed at this time)
I may try to load another OS to see if I can get any of the 6 RJ45 ports to even show up... From my non exhaustive research (at this point) there should be two ix ports and 4 ig ports. In any case, I'll likely end up starting a separate thread (or hop on another thread if Ralph or anybody else starts one) so that it's easier to find.

Cheers,

Reactions: Samir and Ralph_IT

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Just in case people watching this thread didn't see the other thread: you can use the tiny buttons inside the case next to the ethernet ports to switch watchdog and port modes and it persists. I still don't have my non-X VEP (probably still on a boat somewhere?), but I've seen the results and it looks good!