ECC Register: Non Parity and Parity option?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
This forum made the most sense (to me) to post this topic since one isn't dedicated solely for memory.

I have a Lenovo TD340 and purchased 2x8GB Micro sticks. Specs here state the register is parity.

I'm now looking at 16GB sticks that, while confirmed are ECC here, state the register is non parity. I didn't realize there was a difference. Would I be able to use these 16GB sticks with what I currently have in my system? I'm a casual homelab person so unless performance is severely crippled, I'd like to buy these sticks if they're compatible.

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
The second batch is unbuffered, not registered memory. You cannot mix them in the same machine.

All unbuffered will work but be more expensive long term. Registered memory in larger modules becomes cheap over time, whereas large unregistered modules skyrocket in price because of all the people who cannot run registered memory.

Reactions: MountainDew