ECC RAM in AMD Ryzen Laptops?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zeigerpuppy

Sep 7, 2017
AMD Ryzen processors have support for ECC RAM by default.
However, I can't seem to find any AMD laptops that specifically support ECC RAM.

Currently the only laptops with ECC support look to be Xeon-based ones - Top 10 Laptops with Intel Xeon processor | Reinis Fischer
These Xeon laptops are old, power hungry and heavy!

Something like the XMG Neo 15 would be a great alternative if ECC is supported
This laptop has non-soldered RAM, so seems like it may be a possibility.

My understanding is that many manufacturers don't enable ECC memory in BIOS, which means that it may not be recognised.

Wondering if anyone has had any success with ECC in an AMD-processor based laptop?

juma

Apr 14, 2021
ECC RAM requires a set of physical traces on the motherboard, which manufacturers tend to omit if not ECC support is not explicitly stated. With modern boards ECC should be automatically enabled in the BIOS if its supported by the motherboard/chipset.

zeigerpuppy

Sep 7, 2017
good point @juma,
seems like a missed opportunity for such a minuscule cost of a couple of extra RAM traces!

The thing that's most frustrating is that there doesn't seem to be any good guides or lists of any supported laptops... hopefully the community has some ideas!

p.s. in my previous post I forgot to add that I have contacted XMG to request whether they have ECC support (no response yet)

kwinz

Jun 18, 2022
If I learned anything over the years is that if something is not explicity mentioned as supported then assume that it's unimplemented or broken.

It doesn't matter if according to the standard it should be supported or that it would be implementable for cents.

If the vendor doesn't test it then the chance of it working is basically nill.

Reactions: abdullah