EBay - US, Micron 5100 Pro m.2 SATA 960gb enterprise TLC with PLP $79

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
(Edit: the seller listed more items)

I ordered a few of these for a project from an eBay vendor. Micron M5100 SATA m.2, 960gb enterprise SSD. They do have some power loss protection with an array of 24x 47µf backup capacitors on board. While it isn't an exceptional drive, it is a good reliable sata SSD and since I'm putting them in an icy-dock, the PLP capacitors are a nice touch. I mounted each in a M.2 to SATA drive conversion container (about $8 each) and put those in the icy-dock trays. Don't intend to be hot-plugging them, but since it is possible, PLP is a nice-to-have.

This particular SKU does not have TCG encryption security in spite of the datasheet and the ebay description.

I received 4 drives, each appeared new, with no dust, not even under the label on the sticky side. Micron Storage executive showed the SMART info with about 10 hours of power on time, and only 3.9TB of writes, meaning they were erased twice and 100% life left. Firmware level matched the sticker.

Updated them all with Micron StorageExecutive software, ran self tests and scans and all checked out fine.

$79 for a 960gb SATA drive is not much cheaper than a consumer drive, but for an enterprise quality drive with PLP capacitors, a pretty decent deal.

Last edited:

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
They're genuine.

If you go pull the actual technical datasheet from Micron (you have to sign up for an account) the 5100 line is available in several SKU's. The part number decoder in the datasheet shows both encrypted and non-encrypted versions of the part number.

Also - Micron's Storage Executive Software recognizes it as a genuine component. :)

Besides, who would fake a 4 year old drive?

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
They're genuine.

If you go pull the actual technical datasheet from Micron (you have to sign up for an account) the 5100 line is available in several SKU's. The part number decoder in the datasheet shows both encrypted and non-encrypted versions of the part number.

Also - Micron's Storage Executive Software recognizes it as a genuine component. :)

Besides, who would fake a 4 year old drive?
Gotcha. I thought you were saying that the specs didn't match the sku.

As far as fakes--it's the older stuff that a lot of the fakers fake. My first experience with this was when trying to buy some genuine used Intel PCI-X server nics. There were so many fakes that I finally had to get the HP version to get a 'genuine' used article. And the fakers are much, much better than they ever were before, basically so good that on a new device with a warranty you only find out when the manufacturer lets you know that you bought a fake and you won't be getting it back when you sent it in for warranty repair.

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
Gotcha. I thought you were saying that the specs didn't match the sku.

The seller just pulled the old Micron brochure up for the specs and put that in the eBay description, the part doesn't match the description in the auction about the encryption. The ones in the photo, and the four I bought, have part numbers that show no encryption feature and there's no PSID on the sticker. It is a legit sku, lacking the encryption feature.

I don't think the seller is deceptive. The marketing literature is confusing and I think he just doesn't know, gauging by the variety of things in his auctions.

I don't need the encryption feature.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I don't think the seller is deceptive. The marketing literature is confusing and I think he just doesn't know, gauging by the variety of things in his auctions.
Id assume the same, most of the best deals ive done on ebay are from generic sellers that look twice on something and almost take a price out of thin air.
When its outside their expertise its often a bargain and with strange specs/info.

Reactions: Samir and Markess

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
Id assume the same, most of the best deals ive done on ebay are from generic sellers that look twice on something and almost take a price out of thin air.
When its outside their expertise its often a bargain and with strange specs/info.

Yeah, the same seller has a bunch of the same 5100 M.2 but the "ECO" version of them, for $125.

Looks like y'all snapped up all the drives over night!

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Got two of these myself! A while back, I wound up with some odd PCIE cards that hold two m.2 drives, one Nvme and one SATA. These will be great for that. Just need a couple 1TB Nvme drives now.

That is so true! For example, there's sellers on Ebay that price their drives based on capacity regardless of model. Old Intel 530 Series or Optane 905P... same price for the same capacity.

Last edited:

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
@SPCRich are you indicating these are indeed fake drives?
no its a joke, since he asked "who would counterfeit 4 year old drives", speaking specifically about things such as the "MiPhone" and other iphone knockoffs on sites like aliexpress, counterfeit intel nics (that are not current) on ebay, etc.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Counterfeit NICs is a bit strong. More like recycled chips.
Technically they're counterfeit. They use different inductors, capacitors, silk screened fonts, etc. It's basically a knock-off nic. Yeah, the actual main NIC chip is authentic intel, but the entire rest of the board is cheaper/not-BOM parts.

abq

May 23, 2015
(Edit: the seller listed more items)

I ordered a few of these for a project from an eBay vendor. Micron M5100 SATA m.2, 960gb enterprise SSD. They do have some power loss protection with an array of 24x 47µf backup capacitors on board. While it isn't an exceptional drive, it is a good reliable sata SSD and since I'm putting them in an icy-dock, the PLP capacitors are a nice touch. I mounted each in a M.2 to SATA drive conversion container (about $8 each) and put those in the icy-dock trays. Don't intend to be hot-plugging them, but since it is possible, PLP is a nice-to-have.

This particular SKU does not have TCG encryption security in spite of the datasheet and the ebay description.

I received 4 drives, each appeared new, with no dust, not even under the label on the sticky side. Micron Storage executive showed the SMART info with about 10 hours of power on time, and only 3.9TB of writes, meaning they were erased twice and 100% life left. Firmware level matched the sticker.

Updated them all with Micron StorageExecutive software, ran self tests and scans and all checked out fine.

$79 for a 960gb SATA drive is not much cheaper than a consumer drive, but for an enterprise quality drive with PLP capacitors, a pretty decent deal.

Thank You for sharing & posting this great deal. ...no offense intended, but looking for experience WRT power draw of over 8 watts & potential heat concern for M.2.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
"EBay - US"

AAAAAAAAAAA

Not that I have a use for 960GB M.2 SSDs, most of my IDE Precisions would instantly shit themselves the moment they see a disk bigger than 128GB, lol.

Reactions: SPCRich