Ebay seller rejects their own offer?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Anybody have this happen on Ebay before? The seller decides not to honor their own offered price?

At literally the same instant I was placing an OBO offer on an item, I got an unsolicited "Special Price" offer from the seller for $10 than what what I was sending. I figured $10 more was OK, but when I tried to accept the seller's offer, they messaged me back to say that they thought the item was really worth more than they offered it to me for..... another $25 more. And, didn't I think that the item was worth an extra $25 (more than their offer price was)? And didn't I think an extra $25 was fair?

I replied that I could see how someone could feel that the item was worth an extra $25. But, I'd rather they sold it to me for the price they offered it to me at.

They countered with, no extra $25, no sale.

So it was no sale for me, on principal if not for price. I though the whole thing was strange.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've had sellers play games like this.
Listed Price: $200
My Offer: $150
Seller: $195
My Offer: $165
Seller: $205

Some sellers would rathe rplay game than sale.

Like you, I declined and refused to buy from them ridiculous attitude.

Reactions: Markess

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
If I'm not mistaken you can report that, there are only certain circumstances you can retract an offer.
"You can cancel a Best Offer if you entered the wrong amount, if the item's description has changed significantly, or if the seller is not responding to your inquiries."

Not sure if they're claiming that they entered the offer wrong or what.

TBF when I sell something I generally counter someones offer, but not like that.
If I sent it its a valid offer (barring a mistype)

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Not sure if they're claiming that they entered the offer wrong or what.
That's what it sounded like to me that they were using to justify the price change. The did "further evaluation" and decided that they didn't want to let it go for their offered price, and didn't I think more was fair.

TBH, if they'd come out and said "Oh man, I'm sorry but I typed the wrong amount!", I would have been OK with it and maybe even given them their extra $25. But this seemed very "bait and switch".

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I'm not sure how they could decide to back out? There's no communication necessary between parties once an offer has been sent for the recipient to accept. Did you accept, pay, and receive a refund?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I'm not sure how they could decide to back out? There's no communication necessary between parties once an offer has been sent for the recipient to accept. Did you accept, pay, and receive a refund?
Actually, in the coincidence of the century, I'd sent my offer at almost the same instant they sent theirs. So when I tried to access their offer, I only got to view mine instead. I wrote to them immediately that I couldn't access their offer due to mine going through at the same time and could they resend or simply counter at their original offer price and I'd accept. They did that, but then as I was paying, it gave me an error (I suppose because they cancelled their offer before PayPal finished doing its think?) and they sent me the email asking for another $25 instead.

I didn't put all that detail in, because I'm long winded as it is. Bottom line was that they were coming to me iwth a price and I was trying to accept it. They even entered that price twice, once in the original offer and once as a counter offer. The whole thing was odd.

Edit: I guess I'm not meaning this to be a whine or a complaint. Just curious if this is an isolated incident or if this happens often, where a seller makes an offer (or counter offer) then changes their mind before you can pay.

Last edited: