EBay Problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
So I purchased a computer part on EBay sold as new from a seller that has sold a number of them and when I received it, it is an OEM part. The docs included with the packing slip that I almost threw out without looking at state I am suppose to return the defective part it is replacing with an included shipping label.

So basically the EBay seller is a scammer right? He ordered a replacement part in my name and address, probably for free? So I need to open a case with EBay hope to win it to get my money back there and return the part to the OEM so they don't chase me for whatever the full value is for failure to return a defective part. Anyone else deal with something like this before? Fun right?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Any more details on what you actually bought versus what you received? I'm aware of the scam you mention, but there are certainly legit listings of new OEM parts. A link to the ebay listing would be helpful.

Also have you reached out to the seller? If you get any response back that's a good sing as usually the scammers go radio silent. If you don't hear back relatively quickly just open up a case with ebay. If things end up not being a scam the seller can clarify it there.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
I received the part I ordered as described so I am happy about that. However, it shipped direct from a large company and the packing slip documents that came with it said to return my defective part with included label. I don' t have a defective part to return obviously nor do I have any relationship with the large company it shipped from that wants a defective part back. So the Ebay seller appears to have placed a warranty/replacement part order in my name and address.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Right it certainly aligns with a common scam. That's why I asked for the listing. Usually seeing the details of the listing and the seller can help verify it's a scam as these sellers don't last long so they either use new accounts of hacked ones that aren't active. Have you messaged the seller at all to ask why you received it that way? I'm not saying you weren't scammed, just that your first step should be to contact them with your concerns. If/when they ignore you or feed you a story that doesn't sound right then you open your ebay case and go from there.

keybored

May 28, 2016
This happens a lot with Western Digital drives. Scammers abuse the exchange process where WD ships you a drive in advance and you're supposed to return your defective drive when you get the new one. They pay for the shipment using a stolen credit card and use your address when filling out the delivery details.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
No one is going to "chase you" for those parts.

IMHO, you're over thinking it. You got your part you paid for. Ebay will be happy/fine with that.

Who, where, etc, it came from not really your responsibility.

You're assuming it's not legit because it came from someone you didn't think it would.
For all you know the dude who sold it already sent in the 'bad' one he had, and dropshipped replacement to you and sold it as he doesn't use or need it anymore and saved himself $$ shipping it himself a second time.

We could play the "What If" game all day, but I wouldn't go "digging" with the customer or ebay LOOKING for a problem.

My 02.