eBay - Microsemi NV-1616 NVRAM 16GB w BBU - $129.98

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

life2b

Jul 26, 2020
I think about getting this as slog device for my freenas, but I am not pretty sure I can get the driver for this...

But if I make this work, it would be best slog device I can afford.

eBay Link

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
apparently only thing better is an nvdimm??? Just did a quick check in the forums here and elsewhere. Historically FreeNAS sees this as a straight up nvme storage device it seems. I don't have first hand knowledge though - just a quick check.

At that price it looks very enticing, could replace an optane 900p in a FreeNAS VM. For me, the next question is whether ESXI 7 will support this as pass-through I guess, but could still be useful. kind of a pain with the F/H bracket but spacing looks like it might take LSI HH brackets and dump the 8643 cable attachment it has.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I think it was plug&play in FreeNas, but cant remember for sure. Have not tested it with ESXi7 as i stayed with nvdimm.

lambda

Oct 27, 2018
I was not able to find the software which is needed to enable the backup and restore functions of the NV1616. Unless one has a source for the required software, the NV1616 will only function as a volatile block device.

ky56

Jan 5, 2021

I found this file exist on Microsemi. I asked them to provide the firmware.
Would you be able to share this file somewhere? I created a login but the page times out after a few minutes giving a 500 internal server error.

EDIT: Actually I don't think I can even create an account. I think that timed out as well. I noticed Microchip has bought out PMC and that it points to Microchip website. Does anyone know of the download link from the Microchip website?

Last edited: