eBay - Intel Xeon E5-2680V4 - $168

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thulle

Apr 11, 2019
What main advantages do you see of Intel cpu E5-26xx v4 over v3 ?
I virtualized my FreeNAS instance running on Xeon x56**, and the latencies for my Optane-drive went from 15μs to 240μs. I started seeing if i could bring this down again and after getting it to 190μs I hit a brick wall and ended up in contact with the VFIO kernel-maintainer and was told that the hardware just is that slow to do the vmentry/vmexits. There was generational improvements, but the big one apparently is Posted Interrupts, that appears with the Xeon v4's.

ouldsmobile

Sep 7, 2019
Has anyone received their purchase from this seller. If so, can you let me know the size of the package they sent it in? I am trying to figure out if it is worth having it forwarded to me in Canada. This seller doesn't appear to ship to Canada so would have to use a forwarder but would need some approx package dimensions to make sure it worthwhile. I suspect it would be in a relatively small box or bubble mailer but ya never know. Thanks!!

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Has anyone received their purchase from this seller. If so, can you let me know the size of the package they sent it in? I am trying to figure out if it is worth having it forwarded to me in Canada. This seller doesn't appear to ship to Canada so would have to use a forwarder but would need some approx package dimensions to make sure it worthwhile. I suspect it would be in a relatively small box or bubble mailer but ya never know. Thanks!!
Have you tried asking the seller if they are willing to ship to Canada?
The listing has the following information listed under shipping, so it sounds likely they will:
We do offer international shipping. Please contact us for a price quote.

ouldsmobile

Sep 7, 2019
Have you tried asking the seller if they are willing to ship to Canada?
The listing has the following information listed under shipping, so it sounds likely they will:
I did try sending them a message, but got an ebay canned message saying something along the lines that the seller is not accepting any correspondence. :-/ I get that a lot lately, I guess the larger sellers get too many stupid questions or whatever.

microserf

May 20, 2019
I did try sending them a message, but got an ebay canned message saying something along the lines that the seller is not accepting any correspondence. :-/ I get that a lot lately, I guess the larger sellers get too many stupid questions or whatever.
Ordered 2. No guarantees but the box I received was 10" x 8" x 2.75" (was stamped by ULine as 2" high but...nope). Each CPU was in a clam shell and the clam shells were bubble wrapped.

xeonguy

Aug 29, 2020
I virtualized my FreeNAS instance running on Xeon x56**, and the latencies for my Optane-drive went from 15μs to 240μs. I started seeing if i could bring this down again and after getting it to 190μs I hit a brick wall and ended up in contact with the VFIO kernel-maintainer and was told that the hardware just is that slow to do the vmentry/vmexits. There was generational improvements, but the big one apparently is Posted Interrupts, that appears with the Xeon v4's.
Super interesting. I read that the v4 was better for VM's, though didn't know the detail. Thanks.

Out of interest what sort of real world effect do those latencies matter for? Random4K iops?

ovisis

Dec 29, 2019
There are a few other sellers that are starting to release the V4s around those prices now.
Example.
Though I would highly doubt these are "brand new".

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
There are a few other sellers that are starting to release the V4s around those prices now.
Example.
Though I would highly doubt these are "brand new".
Lowest this seller will take is $185, not bad still if anyone needs it right away.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Those are unlikely to ever turn up cheap. They never saw widespread deployment like the 2680s. Has been the case for the top end models of all Xeon generations.

Reactions: T_Minus

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Still cost more than these 2680 v4s, so I would argue otherwise.

Reactions: T_Minus

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Recently picked up 4 of the 2680v3’s for two upgrades and wonder now if I should have waited for the v4’s. Oh well!