eBay - Intel Xeon E5-2680V4 - $168

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dinskuns

Nov 16, 2013
if i just buy 2 different 2699v4 (not a matching pair) will it suite dual processor motherboard just like that?

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
if i just buy 2 different 2699v4 (not a matching pair) will it suite dual processor motherboard just like that?
As long as you get the exact same model and stepping and you should be fine.
Some people even have success matching compatible but different-model CPUs across sockets...

dinskuns

Nov 16, 2013
Thanks alot
Does anybody happen to know if Gigabyte MD90-FS0 Motherboard will accept dual 2699 v4 ?

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Thanks alot
Does anybody happen to know if Gigabyte MD90-FS0 Motherboard will accept dual 2699 v4 ?
The gigabyte website, for the 1.1 revision of the board, says it supports v4 cpus. It is common to need a relatively up to date bios to support v4 cpus, so you might need a v3 cpu handy to be able to update the bios.

Couldn't find any documentation for the rev 1.0 motherboard.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
geeze they blurred out part of their own photo of their own ES cpu?

even though this vendor has been around for a while, doesn't seem worth it.

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
Stay well away from anything "QS" or lacking a production-level S-spec number on it. Anything with a "Qxxx" spec number is a qualification or engineering sample.

If the seller is blurring the etched markings or isn't clear about the S-spec involved, move on.

E5-2699c-v4 is a "cool" version of the E5-2699 v4. It has all the cores, but locked to a lower clock frequency for reduced power/heat. Perfect for virtualizing a lot of low performance instances where you don't need a lot of power, but have a lot of tenants.

They still not "cheap" but compared to new in the box, a very good deal. I think the E5-v4 will hold value for some time, at least until the supply of viable motherboards/chassis are exhausted.

The hodge-podge Xeon family products available now aren't "better" in a heck of a lot of ways.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I have the 2696 and 2686 v3 QS and they are fine. But you have to be a lot more careful about getting matched cpu if it's not S-spec.
ES are definitely a lot rougher.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
V4 series (aka Broadwell) , are on 14nm and V3 series (Haswell) are on 22nm node. This makes a very big difference on performance but also on power usage. Significant power savings were observed when workloads migrated to Broadwell from Haswell.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
V4 series (aka Broadwell) , are on 14nm and V3 series (Haswell) are on 22nm node. This makes a very big difference on performance but also on power usage. Significant power savings were observed when workloads migrated to Broadwell from Haswell.
that and i just love looking at the 22 cores on each of the 2699 v4 cpu over the measly 18 cores on the v3...lol..

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
Yeah, I'm running a 2697v3 with 14 cores in one machine, 2.6ghz base clock and 3.1ghz turbo. (got it super cheap some time ago). And a 2667v4 in another workstation (8 core, frequency optimized).

They're both good for what I'm doing with them. The 2667v4 turbo faster and stays in multicore turbo longer and it is only 135w.

The one I'd rather have in both cases is the E5-2687w v4. That's the 12-core workstation, high frequency, lots of cores and threads. Also 165w TDP, but still probably the best "workstation" CPU for high-performance compute with GPU. All those PCIe lanes, single root complex perfect for GPU compute.

The whole Xeon scalable series and the rest of the Xeon current offerings is just not as good for that. It's mostly just the same crap consumer processors with ECC turned on and the clocks locked.

I haven't delved into AMD's offerings lately. When I last looked at them, they had root-complex and NUMA situations that weren't all that good for me.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Yeah, I'm running a 2697v3 with 14 cores in one machine, 2.6ghz base clock and 3.1ghz turbo. (got it super cheap some time ago). And a 2667v4 in another workstation (8 core, frequency optimized).

They're both good for what I'm doing with them. The 2667v4 turbo faster and stays in multicore turbo longer and it is only 135w.

The one I'd rather have in both cases is the E5-2687w v4. That's the 12-core workstation, high frequency, lots of cores and threads. Also 165w TDP, but still probably the best "workstation" CPU for high-performance compute with GPU. All those PCIe lanes, single root complex perfect for GPU compute.

The whole Xeon scalable series and the rest of the Xeon current offerings is just not as good for that. It's mostly just the same crap consumer processors with ECC turned on and the clocks locked.

I haven't delved into AMD's offerings lately. When I last looked at them, they had root-complex and NUMA situations that weren't all that good for me.
Epyc Rome has much improved numa and root complex vs Epyc Naples.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I look forward to buying one deeply discounted in 5 years. ;)

I'll dig in and look at what they did.
Lol.

I think I said the same thing about E5v3/v4 5 years ago haha.

People on webhostingtalk were like "oh look at these new blah blah blah with all the featues and speeds and stuff"

I'm like, cool story, I look forward to it being sold used in a few years, and until then, it's dead to me.

Reactions: ramblinreck47