eBay - Intel Xeon E5-2680V4 - $168

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
@Markess Thanks for tracking this! my wallet hates you though! :eek:
I'd like to take credit, but it was purely by accident. I didn't discover that I needed to be CPU shopping (in my role as the family's help desk and technology personal shopper) until after the first batch sold out. I clicked through the link in the OP just to see who the seller was and if they had any other deals on offer...and there they were.

I only took one though. As you point out, your wallet and I aren't getting along. So, I thought I'd leave some for your wallet as a good will gesture. :cool:

Reactions: itronin

xeonguy

Aug 29, 2020
Guys I'm stuck trying to decide on which TSV ram to get.

I'm wanting to run dual 2680v4s with 256gb memory in a C612 MB. Currently leaning towards the 2933MHZ only because it's just little more expensinve yet seems more future proof? OTOH it's TSV... so probably not going to be able to use it later anyway if I want to upgrade one day.

What would you do?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
What would you do?
I don't know much about TSV, so have no idea how it might change the equation. But, have you checked how fast your Motherboard of choice can run on 32GB RDIMMs with v4 CPUs? For example, I think that many (all?) Supermicro DP boards with the C612 chipset top out at 2400Mhz with 32GB RDIMMS.

Reactions: scobar

xeonguy

Aug 29, 2020
I don't know much about TSV, so have no idea how it might change the equation. But, have you checked how fast your Motherboard of choice can run on 32GB RDIMMs with v4 CPUs? For example, I think that many (all?) Supermicro DP boards with the C612 chipset top out at 2400Mhz with 32GB RDIMMS.
Yeah you're right. 2400 on the motherboard side, is the max speed from what I've seen. I guess I was just assuming the 2666 and 2999 sticks themselves would downclock and work fine.. But I'm not sure. Will probably just order the 2666 and let ya'll know. It's a pretty good deal IMO if it works :)

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I guess I was just assuming the 2666 and 2999 sticks themselves would downclock and work fine..
Oh I think you're right on the downclock. I don't see why they wouldn't downclock, I've never had a problem in that regard. I only meant that if both options are already faster than your Motherboard can handle, its kind of a waste of money to buy the faster, more expensive, one if you're thinking they might not last through another upgrade.

Reactions: xeonguy

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
was just testing out my laptop with the ryzen 4800H. notice that the ryzen cpu is only a little slower in multicore and significantly faster in single core.... 45w 8 core cpu vs 120W cpu 14 core cpu. what a different in 4 yr...lol...

Reactions: joddlarn

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Just got one of these E5-2680 v4 on ebay for $160. One of the sellers accepted my offer ($8 dollars below asking).

Im looking to replace my E5-2650 v4 ES CPU with a better model and retail version.

xeonguy

Aug 29, 2020
Out of interest, anyone know if these can be undervolted?

Want to keep noise down as it's going next to the bed. Would not be wise to get the mrs triggered :)

xeonguy

Aug 29, 2020
I plan to undervolt and watercool with an AIO to have virtually silent operation inside Ikea Besta units. Will be going in bedroom and living room.

The cabinets them selves have big 230mm fans running low rpm. Moves a lot of air and works great.

I know racks are popular here, but I'm personally not a fan due to their low WAF scores

thulle

Apr 11, 2019
Super interesting. I read that the v4 was better for VM's, though didn't know the detail. Thanks.

Out of interest what sort of real world effect do those latencies matter for? Random4K iops?
Any synchronous or low-depth IO.

Some diskinfo-numbers from an Optane 900 copied from elsewhere:

Code:
Synchronous random writes:

0.5 kbytes:     21.2 usec/IO =     23.0 Mbytes/s
           1 kbytes:     21.2 usec/IO =     46.1 Mbytes/s
           2 kbytes:     23.3 usec/IO =     83.9 Mbytes/s
           4 kbytes:     13.5 usec/IO =    289.3 Mbytes/s
           8 kbytes:     18.8 usec/IO =    414.8 Mbytes/s
          16 kbytes:     25.7 usec/IO =    606.8 Mbytes/s
          32 kbytes:     37.6 usec/IO =    830.5 Mbytes/s
          64 kbytes:     55.2 usec/IO =   1131.4 Mbytes/s
         128 kbytes:     88.4 usec/IO =   1413.5 Mbytes/s
So the throughput is transfersize/completion time. If we add 200μs latency on on 4KB it's 4KB/213.5μs=18.3 MB/s instead of 289.3MB/s for a performance loss of 93%. Since the IO size is the same on both sides of the comparision, we can just ignore it and use the latency. So at 128KB we get 88.4μs/288.4μs for a 69.5% performance loss. It becomes quite clear why they thought this was an area to improve.

At a QD of 32 you'd get a theoretical 32*128KB/288.4μs ~= 14GB/s which is more than what the drive can deliver, so the additional latency isn't as much of an issue there.

Reactions: Tha_14 and xeonguy

nicklebon

Jun 14, 2017
Exactly how much of a performance boost could one expect for a VMware host going from a pair of ES v3 with 14 cores @2200Mhz to this? Several of the VMs are storage related. Further, this storage is visualized on the host via a NappIt. I believe the posted interrupts would help in this area.

xeonguy

Aug 29, 2020
So current have 3 x E5-2680 v4's sitting around waiting for action. 2 are going to be going into a dual Xeon workstation setup.

The 3rd I was maybe going to try experimenting on.

Has anyone done a delid, overclock, undervolt or any other interesting hacky type of thing? :D

Don't have high hopes for overclocking, as I'm assuming multi processor xeons are are probably be locked down and overclock friendly given the need for tighter timings in such a setup. Or maybe not? Honestly I don't really know too much about how multiprocessor loads sync etc.

Maybe delid or undervolt worth it?

These will be in a VM workhorse next to my bed, so optimizing noise and thermals but also having lots of power is sort of a fun challenge.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
So current have 3 x E5-2680 v4's sitting around waiting for action. 2 are going to be going into a dual Xeon workstation setup.

The 3rd I was maybe going to try experimenting on.

Has anyone done a delid, overclock, undervolt or any other interesting hacky type of thing? :D

Don't have high hopes for overclocking, as I'm assuming multi processor xeons are are probably be locked down and overclock friendly given the need for tighter timings in such a setup. Or maybe not? Honestly I don't really know too much about how multiprocessor loads sync etc.

Maybe delid or undervolt worth it?

These will be in a VM workhorse next to my bed, so optimizing noise and thermals but also having lots of power is sort of a fun challenge.
I wouldn't delid - xeons are typically soldiered on.

You also can't overclock them unless you change the BCLK speed.

Undervolting will work. I bought one of these 2680 v4s and it runs very cool (45C) at 90% load for 7 days straight with an AIO. I have them also running full turbo 2.8-2.9ghz

Reactions: xeonguy

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Dang. Hopefully the C6220 cloud server equivalent drops in prices as well. Alternatively, what are you guys sticking these in?