[ebay] HGST 6.4TB NVMe U.2 3DWPD HUSMR7664BDP301 $598.98

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
Thx, I saw it, this is interesting too, but I'm too lazy and impatient to ask what exact drives are there :) Also despite it seems to be a legit listing, the seller's rating is only 36 feedbacks and no returns accepted. The item is in Canada and I don't know customs clearence nuances for US. Considering that 6.4TB Fusion drives are in the same price range in another thread I just bought two of these more freshy NVMe drives. Plus in the description of this item: "These PCIe SSD's are new opened box and have been SMART health tested 100%..."

Reactions: Samir

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
FWIW - I've tried a number of these HGST drives with HP proliants - PCIE / U.2 and in various configurations and I can not get a successful post - Always red screen of death - Illegal op code.

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
FWIW - I've tried a number of these HGST drives with HP proliants - PCIE / U.2 and in various configurations and I can not get a successful post - Always red screen of death - Illegal op code.
Thx for info. I have one 6.4TB PCIE drive currently working without any issues (just plug and play) in Supermicro X11 motherboard.

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
Probably some firmware conflicts/issues/restrictions between the nvme and the system bios.
I thought the same - except I can get m.2 NVME and a cheap m.2 <-> PCIE adapter and it works just fine. I just returned my SN260 - HGST just responded saying HP G9 is NOT on their compatibility list. Kinda weird - oh well.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Bought one - too good to pass up. $470 shipped is at least double the value I was getting with my pm953 960gb drives, and we'll see how performance is on this vs 4x pm953 in an Asus x16 card - I'm guessing that since this is a PCIe x8 card, there's a PCIe switch on these cards?
I am interesting in seeing your test result when you get them, I am very interested in this as well but I cannot find any datasheet about the product which made hold off until I can see more info.

Jordan Innovations

Mar 25, 2018
I am interesting in seeing your test result when you get them, I am very interested in this as well but I cannot find any datasheet about the product which made hold off until I can see more info.
Received the card and was well-packed. Came with a Dell sticker seal so got excited thinking it was a PM1725a (looks almost identical), but turns out it's from a company called Liqid that's all about their PCI-e interconnects, so I'm wondering if they use their own PCI-e swtich? This card is 4x 1.6tb 2280-sized NVMe drives but doesn't require bifurcation to connect to a PCI-e 3.0 x8 slot.
Liqid Inc. — Element LQD3000 AIC PCIe SSD

Haven't gotten to power down the server to throw it in, but they're advertising 1.25M IOPS and 7GBps transfers - we'll see!

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
Received the card and was well-packed. Came with a Dell sticker seal so got excited thinking it was a PM1725a (looks almost identical), but turns out it's from a company called Liqid that's all about their PCI-e interconnects, so I'm wondering if they use their own PCI-e swtich? This card is 4x 1.6tb 2280-sized NVMe drives but doesn't require bifurcation to connect to a PCI-e 3.0 x8 slot.
Liqid Inc. — Element LQD3000 AIC PCIe SSD

Haven't gotten to power down the server to throw it in, but they're advertising 1.25M IOPS and 7GBps transfers - we'll see!
Looks like DCP1000: Kingston DCP1000 1.6TB SSD Review – 7GB/s beast! | KitGuru - Part 2

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
From liqid datasheet: "The AIC also features enterprise-class power failure protection for increased reliability to prevent data loss and ensure uninterrupted work in case of power failure." This is interesting: so you can add 4x 2280 m.2s nvme to this card w/o PLP and get PLP with this card (of course if other models of SSDs are not somehow restricted by firmware), because I don't know any 2280 with PLP, and also those big capacitors on the board? Also it might have it's own DRAM/SLC cache for PLP if I understand right how it works usually: data -> cache -> drive, and in case of power loss, capacitors source are enough to flush data cache to drives.

Jordan Innovations

Mar 25, 2018
From liqid datasheet: "The AIC also features enterprise-class power failure protection for increased reliability to prevent data loss and ensure uninterrupted work in case of power failure." This is interesting: so you can add 4x 2280 m.2s nvme to this card w/o PLP and get PLP with this card (of course if other models of SSDs are not somehow restricted by firmware), because I don't know any 2280 with PLP, and also those big capacitors on the board? Also it might have it's own DRAM/SLC cache for PLP if I understand right how it works usually: data -> cache -> drive, and in case of power loss, capacitors source are enough to flush data cache to drives.
I believe that to be the case - caps on the board will have some cache to offer enterprise power protection for the entire card.

I booted up the drive Tuesday and it appears to be 4x Toshiba KXG50PNV2T04's with approx 1yr power on time and only 10 or so cycles. Data written ranges from 30tb to 200tb, so in the grand scheme, these'll last me forever.
I had to get my production workloads back up so just added those 4 drives to my existing Server 2016 Storage Pool of Samsung NVMe drives and offloaded about 5tb from spinning disks to the volume. CrystalDiskMark shows ~4gbps max throughput so I'm not shouting from the rooftops, but I'm very happy for the price!

Reactions: Samir and oxynazin

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
I am not able to detect it on supermicro x11sca-f + server 2019 as well. Its not appearing on disk manager or the bios. Is there any bios settings need to be changed or its simply not compatible?

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018