EXPIRED eBay: HGST 1.92TB sas SSD $105+$10 shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
@Subasically yeah, that's how it works. You just need a SAS HBA (or RAID controller) either on your motherboard or as a PCIe add-in card. A SAS3 controller would be best, but the drives *should* work on an older SAS2 controller as well (someone else will correct me if I am mistaken). If the drives max out the 6Gb/s SAS2 interface you would see a performance impact, however.

I would encourage you to put your VM images on flash storage, but unless you find a really good deal on SAS flash (like these), you might as well go straight to faster NVMe drives. They are not much more expensive - sometimes even cheaper. If you need a lot of storage, however, NVMe drives will get more expensive to attach as you're limited by number of PCIe lanes. SAS and SATA scale better in that sense. If you want to pursue the NVMe option, see if you can find a good deal on Micron 9200 MAX drives. I bought two 1.6TB drives for $140 each just a few days ago on eBay.

As for Plex media storage, spinning rust is probably going to be more economical. Depending on your usage, even slower 5400 RPM drives might work for you, and you'd save on power consumption in the long run. Over SAS or 7200 SATA drives that is. Can't beat the power efficiency of flash storage.

Hope this helps. I am sure other folks will have some ideas, too.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I'm a noob and new here but how would one use these drives? Can these just be plugged into a LSI 9300-8i? or is there a better way to use these? I am looking at building a NAS for Plex and VMs and these seem like they would be great!
Yep, sas drives just plug right in like a sata drive. These would make a very high speed array of storage (more than you need), so typically you'll get 2x of these as boot mirrors and then use traditional drives (sas for reliability) for the bulk storage.

Reactions: Whaaat

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
even though I just got a new m.2 nvme drive, i'm bummed I missed this.
peak throughput isn't as good as a nvme drive, but this is rated as 10PBW endurance!!

Reactions: Samir

geoffmyers

Very decent drive. Seller accepted $75 offer. Arrived with 1.6PB written (96% endurance) and 31k power-on hours. Be aware that seller didn't bother to clear the security config off the drives so the drive came locked and throw 'failed' self-test result on every cold boot or manual self-test attempt. Once unlocked works like a charm.

View attachment 17145View attachment 17146View attachment 17147
Forgive my ignorance, but I bought two of these drives and cannot figure out how to unlock them so that I can (re)format and actually use them. Could you please provide a link to instructions? I use TrueNAS CORE. Thanks so much!

geoffmyers

Forgive my ignorance, but I bought two of these drives and cannot figure out how to unlock them so that I can (re)format and actually use them. Could you please provide a link to instructions? I use TrueNAS CORE. Thanks so much!
Never mind, I figured it out. I used the following command on both drives which worked:

Code:
sudo sedutil-cli --yesIreallywanttoERASEALLmydatausingthePSID XXXXXXXX /dev/daX

Last edited:
Reactions: Whaaat and chip

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
Never mind, I figured it out.
Nice! Didn't have TrueNAS to test it so I made it in a more harder manner. Anyway I suspect those multiple restockings are simply returns from 'happy' customers who didn't get how to unlock the drives. Very low asking price also suggests that seller didn't get them working too.