eBay: Full 4U Supermicro System - $350 + Ship

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
This is approaching the level of "what's wrong with it", but here it is: Supermicro 4U Freenas ZFS Unraid Server Xeon 12 Cores 2.1ghz 16GB 24x Trays RAIL | eBay

It's an SC846 with a SAS2 expander backplane and dual PWS-920P-1R Platinum power supplies, X9DRi-F motherboard, dual E5-2620v2 CPUs and 16GB of RAM with a 9211-4i, all caddies, and rails. If I had the spare $400+ ($80 ship for me, California to Maine) right now, I'd have already ordered mine; no reason everyone else should miss out.

Seller's a well-known name and they've got a few of them apparently. It looks like a damned fine starter rig with all the room you could possibly want to expand in (until you approach the datahoarder levels) for a NAS.

burtonmadness

Feb 19, 2015
I've bought almost all of my homelab from these guys. Great to deal with and good server. I'm reasonably local so have always will-call'ed pickup up my server.

Reactions: Samir

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
I've bought almost all of my homelab from these guys. Great to deal with and good server. I'm reasonably local so have always will-call'ed pickup up my server.
Good to hear that actually - I start getting itchy with sellers that have ratings less than 99%, which they've just edged under, but it looked like them being a bit meh on communication when there's inventory issues. (Replaced an E3-1220v2 with an E3-1270; I mean yeah if you're going for power it sucks but that's the only time it does.)

Note, it's the combo of under 99% and a deal that looks too good to be true that normally tweaks me. I can barely get a chassis with rails and trays for that price, never mind the entire system and the power supplies.

lhibou

Jun 12, 2019
Oh no.... I don't need a bigger ZFS server... don't need a bigger ZFS server...

* add to cart * :rolleyes::eek:

FWIW I've bought from this seller too, some used enterprise drives and such. Not grabbed a system from them before though.

So far they've always shipped fast and things are as described. Will let you all know if there are any discrepancies with the unit when I receive.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Noticed that same thing today, but not sure I can hide a box that big from my wife.
Yeah, I thought about it anyhow, but I need to pick my battles and getting a second switch for the upcoming basement renovations is a bit higher on the priority list.

MoMeanMugs

Apr 16, 2018
Just thought I'd mention I'm also in Maine. I buy toys from California, so maybe there's an opportunity to group buy something someday. :)
I'm about 20 minutes outside of Portland if you're close by. I also have a bunch of equipment in my basement that I eventually need to sort and give away if you want anything somewhere down the road.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Just thought I'd mention I'm also in Maine. I buy toys from California, so maybe there's an opportunity to group buy something someday. :)
I'm about 20 minutes outside of Portland if you're close by. I also have a bunch of equipment in my basement that I eventually need to sort and give away if you want anything somewhere down the road.
Yeah, we're nearly neighbors then - about 40 minutes for us (Hollis). I won't say no to free gear (okay, maybe an old PowerEdge 1950 I'd say no to), so keep me in mind.

Oh, and have you experienced the wonders of the MIT Flea?

MoMeanMugs

Apr 16, 2018
Yeah, we're nearly neighbors then - about 40 minutes for us (Hollis). I won't say no to free gear (okay, maybe an old PowerEdge 1950 I'd say no to), so keep me in mind.

Oh, and have you experienced the wonders of the MIT Flea?
I'm in Cumberland. I always get giddy when I see someone else from Maine since it seems nobody lives here! :D

I didn't know about MIT Flea, but now... dammit! Now another way to spend money!

I have a couple 4U cases (one Norco and one Rosewill) that I was going to take to the recycler tomorrow. I guess I'll hang on to them to see if you want them. Also just bought a 42U rack to replace the 23U (?) HP rack I have. Not sure if I will keep it or not. If not, it could use a good home...

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
I would be all over the 23U - I mentioned basement renovation before; I ran my office ethernet drops too short and we've decided to put a comm closet under the stairs. Let me know if you decide to keep it. I've got something that will work but it's a wall-mount with round threaded holes and is a bit janky.

For the flea, it can be a bit hit-or-miss, but the bright side of it is, since you're in Boston, you can just swing over to Micro Center (3-5 minute drive from the Flea) after 11am and wander aimlessly through the PC hardware nirvana. And you CAN get good deals there - I picked up an Intel X520-DA2 for $10 last weekend, and after looking them up once I got home kicked myself for not buying more. I've gotten (admittedly, SAS1) 24-bay JBODs with a 4-port LSI RAID card for $25, bunches of stuff.

csp-guy

Jun 26, 2019
Hungary, Budapest
Holy f.ck. I wish I would be US resident or citizen. :)

Great deal to be my next upgrade, but postage robbery would be 350 bucks plus customs and 27 percent VAT.

I love US independently from auctions. :D

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Holy f.ck. I wish I would be US resident or citizen. :)

Great deal to be my next upgrade, but postage robbery would be 350 bucks plus customs and 27 percent VAT.

I love US independently from auctions. :D
Youch. I don't blame you, that is absurd.

MoMeanMugs

Apr 16, 2018
I would be all over the 23U - I mentioned basement renovation before; I ran my office ethernet drops too short and we've decided to put a comm closet under the stairs. Let me know if you decide to keep it. I've got something that will work but it's a wall-mount with round threaded holes and is a bit janky.

For the flea, it can be a bit hit-or-miss, but the bright side of it is, since you're in Boston, you can just swing over to Micro Center (3-5 minute drive from the Flea) after 11am and wander aimlessly through the PC hardware nirvana. And you CAN get good deals there - I picked up an Intel X520-DA2 for $10 last weekend, and after looking them up once I got home kicked myself for not buying more. I've gotten (admittedly, SAS1) 24-bay JBODs with a 4-port LSI RAID card for $25, bunches of stuff.
I'll probably need a couple more weeks to move stuff over and figure it out. I'll keep you posted.

Wow, I totally forgot about Microcenter in Boston. I don't go there often, but I do fly down to Houston frequently, but I stay aware from the one there so I don't buy more crap I don't need!

Do you have a need for any networking equipment?

I guess we can always take this to PM if others don't want the forum clogged.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
I'll probably need a couple more weeks to move stuff over and figure it out. I'll keep you posted.

Wow, I totally forgot about Microcenter in Boston. I don't go there often, but I do fly down to Houston frequently, but I stay aware from the one there so I don't buy more crap I don't need!

Do you have a need for any networking equipment?

I guess we can always take this to PM if others don't want the forum clogged.
I mean, it's not like I can hijack my own thread, but yeah, I'll PM you.

shanehm2

Jan 12, 2018
Would you be able to swap out motherboards in this system ? As I have a supermicroboard with a xeon 2697v3 and 64gb ram, which i am happy with but this chassis would be awesome

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Would you be able to swap out motherboards in this system ? As I have a supermicroboard with a xeon 2697v3 and 64gb ram, which i am happy with but this chassis would be awesome
You could yeah, but at that point just go shopping for an empty SC846. A bit of looking should get you one for cheaper with cheaper shipping - I usually see them around 300 with 50-60 for shipping.

Of course those may not have rails, caddies, and power supplies either.