ebay- filter out the CTO listings?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
this isnt a good deal post, but i wasnt sure where else to post this ebay related question:

(for ebay) Does anyone have a technique or search operator that will filter out the idiots?

oh... let me be a bit more specific :)

im looking for a way to filter out all those duplicate CTO/ Build to order listings from ebay search results- ie when i search supermicro 4u , there are about 3k listings, but about 2.8k of those are duplicate/custom builds just spec'd out in individual listings (see image).
listCapture.PNG

I can share my current method (not very effective) to filter these out is to just select a category on the left hand side, and/or enter a max price filter (also i know that both of these are also filtering out some items i do want to see). I know being more specific with my search terms helps, but i like to check the broad terms like "supermicro 4u" (wo quotes) as it can help find mis-spelled or mislabeled listings, and we all know that is where you can really find the deals that others are missing out on.

any ideas or techniques? thanks!

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I don't believe there are any identifiers for what you're specifically trying to target since the sellers are just making multiple standard listings. You can exclude specific sellers easily using the advanced search functionality which may help you target the biggest offenders.

this isnt a good deal post, but i wasnt sure where else to post this ebay related question
I think the General Chat subforum would be appropriate.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Yes your best best is to exlude the sellers on the advance tab. It is a tediuos job but it is worth it.

Wish you could exclude these sellers from ALL your searches but ebay doesn't have a global blacklist

Reactions: james23

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Yes your best best is to exlude the sellers on the advance tab. It is a tediuos job but it is worth it.
Wish you could exclude these sellers from ALL your searches but ebay doesn't have a global blacklist
oh nice! that is a good solution as its usually just 2 or 3 sellers (per search) doing this .. only thing to watch for is sometimes those same sellers will have a good non CTO deal mixed in there (ie barebones or similar)
thanks!

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Wouldn't be a bad idea to list the sellers here, save others some time. Name and shame the clickbaiters.