ebay dell mellanox dual 10gbe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gzorn

Jan 10, 2017
Hi all,
I'm considering pulling the trigger on this one. Dell / Mellanox CX322 ConnectX-3 dual 10gbe card with SFP+ ports for $50 + $14 US shipping. It's not listed on any of Mellanox's sites, but is listed on a few server vendors. Also, the guy has no seller feedback, so beware. Has anyone worked with one of these cards?
MELLANOX CONNECTX-3 10GBE CX322A-DELL *NEW* | eBay

Last edited:
Reactions: William and K D

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
CX322A is the OEM version of the CX3-EN (CX312A). Can't vouch for the seller - but the card should work great for Linux, windows or FreeBSD distros that include Mellanox drivers (like FreeNAS, but not PFsense).

Reactions: gzorn

gzorn

Jan 10, 2017
CX322A is the OEM version of the CX3-EN (CX312A). Can't vouch for the seller - but the card should work great for Linux, windows or FreeBSD distros that include Mellanox drivers (like FreeNAS, but not PFsense).
@PigLover , thanks! My main concern would be the possibility that the card is somehow locked to only work with Dell motherboards. Presumably, it's possible to flash to stock firmware similar to the IBM ones.

Surprised to hear that it doesn't work in pfsense, since 2.3 is based on FreeBSD 10.3.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Surprised to hear that it doesn't work in pfsense, since 2.3 is based on FreeBSD 10.3.
The PFsense team doesn't include the Mellanox drivers. No idea why, but its a PITA to compile it and add it and it breaks again every time they distribute a point release - so if you are using PFsense get an Intel or Chelsio card.

I have about a dozen CX3-ENs (both 312A and 322A versions). They work great. Not too power hungry, not picky about SFP+ modules or DACs. Good card.

gzorn

Jan 10, 2017
I ended up getting one as well, though I'll have to get a full height bracket for it. They're cheap enough from Mellanox, but it's the shipping that gets you.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
These are going into 2 dell 1U servers. I have 2 FH brackets from CX2s that I used else where and I hope they fit.

gzorn

Jan 10, 2017
These are going into 2 dell 1U servers. I have 2 FH brackets from CX2s that I used else where and I hope they fit.
From the picture, it looks like it comes with a short bracket. I think that should fit in your 1U case, unless it's on a riser with a full-height slot.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
From the picture, it looks like it comes with a short bracket. I think that should fit in your 1U case, unless it's on a riser with a full-height slot.
The pcie x8 slot is on a full height riser slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gzorn

Jan 10, 2017
Looks like mine shipped today - tracking says it'll get here Friday. Testing over the weekend.

gzorn

Jan 10, 2017
Mine arrived and looks in good condition. Confirmed that it's a short bracket. I'll test it over the long weekend.

gzorn

Jan 10, 2017
Well, the card seems to work - sort of. It won't boot in my older computer (haswell + gigabyte z87-ud3h), but works in my Supermicro X11ssi-ln4f with a skylake. BIOS is in desperate need of an upgrade (2.30), and perhaps that'll solve the incompatibility.
@PigLover - were you able to flash your CX322's to stock firmware? Did you just use the 312A firmware?

Reactions: K D

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Well, the card seems to work - sort of. It won't boot in my older computer (haswell + gigabyte z87-ud3h), but works in my Supermicro X11ssi-ln4f with a skylake. BIOS is in desperate need of an upgrade (2.30), and perhaps that'll solve the incompatibility.
@PigLover - were you able to flash your CX322's to stock firmware? Did you just use the 312A firmware?
This cards were delivered On Friday but I'm out for the long weekend. Will test them on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I just ran them as delivered. I have flashed Mellanox cards before bit only when trying to debug a strange BIOS issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

abq

May 23, 2015
Anyone find any more of these CX312A in $50ea range? I could use a couple!

gzorn

Jan 10, 2017
Anyone find any more of these CX312A in $50ea range? I could use a couple!
You have to be patient for deals on the CX312A's. I might be willing to sell mine around what I paid for it - $60. The caveats that you should know - although it's mostly equivalent to a CX312A (Dell OEM MCX322A and I've successfully cross-flashed the firmware), there are some features that I cannot get working. Notably 3 things:
1. Won't boot in my Gigabyte Z87-UD3H motherboard, possibly others. It works in my supermicro X11 series motherboard in a slot with chipset PCIe lanes.
2. SR-IOV doesn't work (in my hands - what I really wanted)
3. It cannot read identification/health data from SFP+ modules (ethtool -m under linux - a minor annoyance).

abq

May 23, 2015
You have to be patient for deals on the CX312A's. I might be willing to sell mine around what I paid for it - $60. The caveats that you should know - although it's mostly equivalent to a CX312A (Dell OEM MCX322A and I've successfully cross-flashed the firmware), there are some features that I cannot get working. Notably 3 things:
1. Won't boot in my Gigabyte Z87-UD3H motherboard, possibly others. It works in my supermicro X11 series motherboard in a slot with chipset PCIe lanes.
2. SR-IOV doesn't work (in my hands - what I really wanted)
3. It cannot read identification/health data from SFP+ modules (ethtool -m under linux - a minor annoyance).
Very much appreciate your help & advice. Curious that SR-IOV doesn't work, I will wait for a couple more of the CX312's. ...Keep using MHZH29-XTR's for now - I really like a QDR & 10Gbe/SFP+ on single card - just old connectX-2 :)