Eaton EMA111-10 $77+shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You're probably going to laugh when I mention it--as a way to reset devices that need to be reset and to control some lamps remotely without dealing with consumer crap solutions. :oops: To give you some idea what I purchased in the past for these type of duties, you can see why these were a no-brainer (once I learned what they could do):
Ah yes, I had a WEMO outlet on "reboot the shitty modem" duty for a while...

Not sure if this is the final version, but something like this

Code:
while :
do
  if (nc -zw1 8.8.8.8 443) || (nc -zw1 1.1.1.1 53) || (nc -zw1 8.8.4.4 53) || (nc -zw1 208.67.222.222 53); then
    echo $(date -Iseconds) Internet Up
    sleep 20
  else
    echo "Internet Down"
    sleep 20
    if (nc -zw1 8.8.8.8 443) || (nc -zw1 1.1.1.1 53) || (nc -zw1 8.8.4.4 53) || (nc -zw1 208.67.222.222 53); then
      echo $(date -Iseconds) Internet down, resetting | tee -a internet.log
      ./wemo.sh 10.12.2.44 OFF
      sleep 5
      ./wemo.sh 10.12.2.44 ON
      sleep 300
    fi
  fi
done
Back in the day of "3G Store" :eek: they had a device I used that would check for internet on the network port and if not found would power cylce the single outlet. IIRC this was $49, and for that this device was awesome :D :D

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Back in the day of "3G Store" :eek: they had a device I used that would check for internet on the network port and if not found would power cylce the single outlet. IIRC this was $49, and for that this device was awesome :D :D
That's actually the one I have! lol! Today I use it to just see how much packet loss is happening across an ipsec tunnel so I am reminded of how sucky the isp is.

Back in the day we got it to reboot an old FVS114 router that we were using because it would reboot in 10 seconds flat--from power cycle to full traffic on it again. :D We set the rebooter to reboot if a single ping was lost and the minimum gap between pings was 10 seconds, so the very maximum delay from the router locking up to it rebooting was 20 seconds. The rebooter worked so seamlessly that I actually forgot about the issue for a while.

The FVS114 was the 'core' in a hodge-podge network I built from things found in old storage chases since there was literally no budget for anything, but the current workflow for business wasn't working either. I was able to overhaul our entire infrastructure at 5 sites including desktops for well under $1000. As time went on, I was able to replace equipment with better stuff, but man was that FVS114 pushed well beyond its original specs of 'Up to 11.5 Mbps WAN-to-LAN, up to 2.1 Mbps for 3DES throughput'--it did 40Mb+ wan-to-lan and almost 20Mb on a tunnel. It was finally taken out of service after years of being pounded on. I think I still have it somewhere along with a dual wan version of it that didn't even do half of what this one could do.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That's actually the one I have! lol! Today I use it to just see how much packet loss is happening across an ipsec tunnel so I am reminded of how sucky the isp is.

Back in the day we got it to reboot an old FVS114 router that we were using because it would reboot in 10 seconds flat--from power cycle to full traffic on it again. :D We set the rebooter to reboot if a single ping was lost and the minimum gap between pings was 10 seconds, so the very maximum delay from the router locking up to it rebooting was 20 seconds. The rebooter worked so seamlessly that I actually forgot about the issue for a while.

The FVS114 was the 'core' in a hodge-podge network I built from things found in old storage chases since there was literally no budget for anything, but the current workflow for business wasn't working either. I was able to overhaul our entire infrastructure at 5 sites including desktops for well under $1000. As time went on, I was able to replace equipment with better stuff, but man was that FVS114 pushed well beyond its original specs of 'Up to 11.5 Mbps WAN-to-LAN, up to 2.1 Mbps for 3DES throughput'--it did 40Mb+ wan-to-lan and almost 20Mb on a tunnel. It was finally taken out of service after years of being pounded on. I think I still have it somewhere along with a dual wan version of it that didn't even do half of what this one could do.
I used mine 14 years ago (wow....) for 3G Internet when it was the only option to get online here.
I think I ended up throwing it away, although it may be a bin someplace :D :D

For what it did and my use I would have paid more... total time saver for me

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I used mine 14 years ago (wow....) for 3G Internet when it was the only option to get online here.
I think I ended up throwing it away, although it may be a bin someplace :D :D

For what it did and my use I would have paid more... total time saver for me
Wow, I think mine is only about 10 years old, lol. Yep, it was the same when I found it and there was nothing out there like it. If you still have it, I could put it to use as I considered getting a second one to monitor some other equipment that I would have to reboot.

They're actually great devices if you know what their limitations are and what their strengths are, especially considering both of us have had one for a decade and we haven't really had any functional complaints at all.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Canada Post estimated arrival on the 8th, but politely mentioned they had no control after the package left their control. After clearing customs in Chicago on the 1st, the U.S. Postal Service changed the expected delivery date from the 8th to the 5th. Now, here it is the 4th and the package is still in Chicago. This isn't a worry for me, I'm in no great hurry. But, the USPS really needs a new algorithm! ;)

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Canada Post estimated arrival on the 8th, but politely mentioned they had no control after the package left their control. After clearing customs in Chicago on the 1st, the U.S. Postal Service changed the expected delivery date from the 8th to the 5th. Now, here it is the 4th and the package is still in Chicago. This isn't a worry for me, I'm in no great hurry. But, the USPS really needs a new algorithm! ;)
Yeah, I've noticed USPS timing can be a bit off depending on volume and what problems they are facing atm with staffing.

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
Mine had been stuck at "inbound out of customs" in Chicago since Tuesday (2/1) with no updates until today when the usps reported it was at my local post office. It made it from Chicago to SW FL w/o any additional tracking updates. I should receive it tomorrow.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Mine had been stuck at "inbound out of customs" in Chicago since Tuesday (2/1) with no updates until today when the usps reported it was at my local post office. It made it from Chicago to SW FL w/o any additional tracking updates. I should receive it tomorrow.
Thank you for this detail. Will help keep a couple of us from panicking. :D

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
Mine also arrived in perfect condition. I've updated the firmware and also managed to successfully get a cert loaded that's signed by my self-signed root CA so https access is all good. Having to load the certs via ftps was a bit... retro.

Thanks @Spartus!

Reactions: Samir and T_Minus

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I got mine today. It looks good. Totally free of any blemishes or dents or what not. The box was popped open on three sides :eek:, but going by the picture in the Quick Start, it looks like it was all in there. I assume that I got "lucky" and it was picked for a random customs inspection? The thorough tape job had been cut open and then resealed with a single short piece of tape. The accessory bags being taped to the box and zip tied to the power cord, which in turn was laced through the styrofoam, seems to have helped to hold it all together.

Thanks again @Spartus !

Last edited:

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
For the future, I also had communication issues with this eBay seller. They said they would send an invoice with the shipping quote, but finally today (several weeks later after they accepted my offer) they got back to me saying they sold them all already.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
For the future, I also had communication issues with this eBay seller. They said they would send an invoice with the shipping quote, but finally today (several weeks later after they accepted my offer) they got back to me saying they sold them all already.
Yes, lengthy back-and-forth discussions with seller, reached agreement to buy a bunch at their price, numerous follow-up emails to them and occasional responses saying they would send an invoice, and then finally crickets after sending several more emails. Seller is totally unreliable.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
well, just to add to everyone else's feedback. it's a big warehouse, with lots of processing space all dealing in computer overstock and used stuff... They are certainly "big enough", not just a hole in the wall, but yes, they are shady as ****.