Eaton EMA111-10 $77+shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Well, I decided to check on behalf of someone who ordered 2 units to Florida:

1 Unit shipping is $87.56 CAD = 68.58

2 Units wrapped together is $138.14 CAD = 108.19

So they save $40 by my breaking it down and repacking it.

3 Units for 4 Units (regardless of the shape you make) exceed service limit, so orders > 2 would get wrecked on shipping fees.

I'll start sending people their personalized quotes. We did get a good break. $55, but also there is sales tax...

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Well, I decided to check on behalf of someone who ordered 2 units to Florida:

1 Unit shipping is $87.56 CAD = 68.58

2 Units wrapped together is $138.14 CAD = 108.19

So they save $40 by my breaking it down and repacking it.

3 Units for 4 Units (regardless of the shape you make) exceed service limit, so orders > 2 would get wrecked on shipping fees.

I'll start sending people their personalized quotes. We did get a good break. $55, but also there is sales tax...
A little surgery on the foam and I can repack 2:1 and keep it pretty safe. Beyond that I probably need to bubblewrap internally.
View attachment 21385
You are pretty darn AWESOME!

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I managed to snag 2 of these from the seller, and after 1 day of no response from the seller, they updated my invoice with shipping, Which was an additional ~$80. From Ontario to western NY (across the lake), likely steep, but oh well. Received on Monday, and plugged one in.. well worth the cost even with shipping.

They send 2 units, not repacked, to NYC for $80?

I wonder what they used, cause I'd pay more for 2 wrapped together (less if condensed)

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
They send 2 units, not repacked, to NYC for $80?

I wonder what they used, cause I'd pay more for 2 wrapped together (less if condensed)
They probably have some sort of bulk rates or maybe even a cross-border local courier for such a shipment. I remember when I ordered stuff from CDW when I was in Milwaukee they would use a company called 'Night Moves' and it would come same day. :)

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
So uh, regarding the pair of units I got for myself...

I don't really like them all that much. The built in interface doesn't seem to have any graphing of power usage, which is something I lean on a lot right now, as it shows me when machines are in use (like 150W idle vs 600+W load). The Eaton interface just shows current and max power, unless I go buy licencing of their IPM software.

My current setup uses Sonoff S31 & Kasa HS300 units, and the data all goes into home assistant with a custom dashboard. As an example:

HA.jpg

So the PDUs have some really powerful features I don't need. It can sum the power from 2 outlets on 2 PDUs to one server (for dual PSU systems, which I don't have), but it looks like I need to scrape the data and put it in grafana or ELK or something, none of which I currently run.

Admittedly, this was as cheap or cheaper than the consumer options on a per plug basis (good deal yo!)

I guess I'm just curious how others leverage these in their home lab and what their setup is (I assume at least a couple of you are buying additional units and not your first ones).

Reactions: Markess and Samir

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
I will be pulling the power usage data via SNMP and displaying in Cacti (yes, old crusty Cacti). The MIB is included in the firmware update zip.

What is the FW version on yours?

Reactions: Markess and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I guess I'm just curious how others leverage these in their home lab and what their setup is (I assume at least a couple of you are buying additional units and not your first ones).
You're probably going to laugh when I mention it--as a way to reset devices that need to be reset and to control some lamps remotely without dealing with consumer crap solutions. :oops: To give you some idea what I purchased in the past for these type of duties, you can see why these were a no-brainer (once I learned what they could do):

• Wow
Reactions: llowrey

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Ah yes, I had a WEMO outlet on "reboot the shitty modem" duty for a while...

Not sure if this is the final version, but something like this

Code:
while :
do
  if (nc -zw1 8.8.8.8 443) || (nc -zw1 1.1.1.1 53) || (nc -zw1 8.8.4.4 53) || (nc -zw1 208.67.222.222 53); then
    echo $(date -Iseconds) Internet Up
    sleep 20
  else
    echo "Internet Down"
    sleep 20
    if (nc -zw1 8.8.8.8 443) || (nc -zw1 1.1.1.1 53) || (nc -zw1 8.8.4.4 53) || (nc -zw1 208.67.222.222 53); then
      echo $(date -Iseconds) Internet down, resetting | tee -a internet.log
      ./wemo.sh 10.12.2.44 OFF
      sleep 5
      ./wemo.sh 10.12.2.44 ON
      sleep 300
    fi
  fi
done

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
For reference, this is the benchmark I'm measuring against...

[oh look, they are on sale again... maybe I should get some]

Brian Puccio

Jul 26, 2014
So uh, regarding the pair of units I got for myself...

I don't really like them all that much.
If you’re interested in selling them, I’m still interested in buying them

Monitoring power use over time. Yes, the native interface isn’t great. But forever ago I had Uniquiti’s mFi line of outlets that supported monitoring and switching. And it had the single pane of glass overview Ubiquiti is known for.

And then they killed the entire product line.

Since I already have a TimeScaleDB instance for many other metrics, power use over time is not much more of a hassle for me to stick in there. And then I pull it and other things out with Grafana.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
For reference, this is the benchmark I'm measuring against...

[/URL]

[oh look, they are on sale again... maybe I should get some]
Ah yes, the consumer crap, buggy, exploit proven, phones home, iot backdoor ridden stuff, lol. It's why these pdus are normally many times more expensive than those things. But hey, if they work for what you need them for that's the right fit for the job. :)