Easy/cheap cluster questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LeeMan

Oct 18, 2015
I'm not really sure if I'm really understanding how to scale easily with OS as this is a new venture for me.

Say I have 2-4 cheap servers, I would like to have a way of making this use all of the processing power from all of them to do a specific task say run a Plex server.

I've read some about ESXi but have no experience with it in scalability. Main question being how would you setup server small cheap servers in a cluster to run a Plex server? And would it be possible to just add more servers to the cluster to give more processing power?

Reactions: farmhand06

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
I misread he question thinking it was for Plex only. In anwer, ESXi is scaleable in regard to up time not giving a single VM all the power of the cluster.

Diavuno

Distributed workloads are specific to an application.

Many small servers with identical everything might be a good candidate for a load balancing server.... If the application reports properly, I know one of my techs tried a 2 server system and a basic load balancer for plex... didnt work.

Plex does not currently support it.

On the flip side, something like Exchange or supports clustering out of the box.

Reactions: farmhand06

LeeMan

Oct 18, 2015
Distributed workloads are specific to an application.

Many small servers with identical everything might be a good candidate for a load balancing server.... If the application reports properly, I know one of my techs tried a 2 server system and a basic load balancer for plex... didnt work.

Plex does not currently support it.

On the flip side, something like Exchange or supports clustering out of the box.
Thanks! For some reason I thought ESXi was able to cluster a couple server together in a VM when then you could harness that power.

I might try that github with the Plex remote transcode with two servers direct connected via SFP+ 10GbE for low latency when sharing the folders on the main drive.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
I'll suggest Proxmox VE; it does proper multi-master clustering which removes your SPOV. Also, it comes with ZFS support out of the box, even root on ZFS.

In terms of storage sharing, a nice feature is its "built-in" (requires a few very well documented shell commands) support for Ceph. After that, you just administer the whole thing through a nice web UI (on any of the nodes!). This allows you to live-migrate VMs.

High Availability; run your critical VMs in HA mode, and even if the current host's mainboard goes poof (happened to me; my pfSense VM ran on that node), the VM will automatically be started elsewhere.

Proxmox VE runs either KVM or LXC; it doesn't support Docker at present, though you can run a KVM VM that does that.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I'll suggest Proxmox VE; it does proper multi-master clustering which removes your SPOV. Also, it comes with ZFS support out of the box, even root on ZFS.

In terms of storage sharing, a nice feature is its "built-in" (requires a few very well documented shell commands) support for Ceph. After that, you just administer the whole thing through a nice web UI (on any of the nodes!). This allows you to live-migrate VMs.

High Availability; run your critical VMs in HA mode, and even if the current host's mainboard goes poof (happened to me; my pfSense VM ran on that node), the VM will automatically be started elsewhere.

Proxmox VE runs either KVM or LXC; it doesn't support Docker at present, though you can run a KVM VM that does that.
this is all true, but if you read carefully, and this is just an FYI, Proxmox VE (you will need version 4.3 and up ) REQUIRES a MINIMUM of 3 nodes for the this type of no SAN shared storage HA Cluster setup. Unless I misunderstand something in my research.

other than that ...