Early July 2021 Update

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey all,

You probably noticed that I have been quite absent this week. The reason is fairly simple. Getting ready for the big summer expansion at STH. Tomorrow I am getting the keys to the new studio. At the same time, we gutted one of the data centers earlier this week, and have a bunch more to move around.

All told, I think I have packed and moved an enormous amount of gear over the past three days to the point (which is good) where I have been losing ~1.5lbs/ day this week even eating all I can.

I discussed a bit about this in the Q2 Letter from the Editor but hopefully with the transition we are in a place (also with vaccine rates increasing) that we can hire a few new folks by September.

July is just going to be rough. I just wanted to say thanks to @WillTaillac this week for doing some amazing work, especially on the P5800X and Lexar reviews.

Just know, I am going from 5:30AM to 1AM every day to get STH prepped for the future while also dealing with considerable personal change. I may not be on the forums all the time, but that is why.

Cheers,
Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just an update on this. Got back in town today. The Blue Door studio is going to be fully decommissioned tomorrow! Taking the last photos in it tonight. By August we should see a different look on STH.

Between today and July 25 I currently am scheduled for 10 flights and 13.5K miles domestic. First time doing more than a half Earth circumference in two weeks and a schedule of more than a flight every other day since early 2020 or late 2019. Should hit 1K again on United by the end of this month I think and if not next month.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
In the last 16 days have done 7 time changes of 2-3 hours.

Body is pretty shot, but that is what it is.

ccie4526

Jan 25, 2021
Only problem with UA all airlines is that status is now purely based on spend vs. miles flown. I quite enjoyed the 120K-150K real miles flown per year, "pre-covid". This year, I'll get my 15K PQP with only 35K miles flown. :( Wondering when I just say to heck with it and fall back on the lifetime platinum.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Only problem with UA all airlines is that status is now purely based on spend vs. miles flown. I quite enjoyed the 120K-150K real miles flown per year, "pre-covid". This year, I'll get my 15K PQP with only 35K miles flown. :( Wondering when I just say to heck with it and fall back on the lifetime platinum.
I am only in the 1.1-1.2MM flown on United (switched like 9 years ago) so only lifetime Gold here. Now that I have 1K (due to spend) for next year, I am thinking about trying to do a status match on another airline.

Reactions: ccie4526