EAP620 HD Clean POE Install?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

semicole

Mar 16, 2023
I’m pretty new to the home networking game and am working on getting my setup running with a pfsense box, Mikrotik Poe switch and a TP Link 620 HD.

I was installing the WAP today and after I looked at it I realized I wasn’t really sure what the best method for a clean looking install would be. I initially assumed the poe port would be on the underside of the WAP, so it would be hidden when installed, but that’s not the case.

Currently I have it installed on the ceiling (8ft ceilings) and have the Ethernet cable just running straight through the Sheetrock into the attic and I’m not a fan of the way it looks. I drilled the hole for the Ethernet as close as possible to the mount, but still don’t like the look as it’s somewhat visible from the right angle.

So I’m curious how people do it cleanly. Do most use a RJ45 wall plate next to the WAP? Or run it through the Sheetrock like I have? What’s the cleanest way?