E7-8893v2 ES - use them or paperweights?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Some time ago, I picked up some DDR3 ram from a local "recycler", who essentially threw in two unknown (to me) ES cpus to sweeten the deal. (In other words, I'm not admitting to "purchasing" and I have effectively no skin in the game where it comes to cost.) The main purchases (ram) worked flawlessly. Ever since, these have been sitting (protected in wrap) on my dresser, sttaring at me every morning.

QFCK (I'll verify when i get home... But pretty easy to remember!!) is the spec. Cap /Resistor pattern on the bottom appears to mirror pics of the production version I could find while researching online.

I am well aware of the differences between the e5 and e7 line of chips. Problem is, I can't even find a relatively low cost two-socket motherboard or surplus server (at least not that I kniw of) to see if they even work!

A thorough examination shows that one seems to have a very, very tiny broken capacitor, but I could be mistaken-- it may be intact, but even if broken, i have heard thic can be a non-issue.... But if there is a way to try and use them, i cant ignore the potential... Can I?

So... Is there a (reasonably priced) board solution I have overlooked?
Should i use them as paperweights?
Would there even be a worthwhile improvement in speed if I could use them? (Over e5-2650 v2 *or* the quad- processor e5-46xx v1/v2 that i am trying to build out?)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, all!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Do they even make 2 Proc boards for those CPUs? If they do I'd imagine they're really rare since it would be rather unwise to drop big coin on those and not use them in a 8x board.

Unless they just fit in standard 2011 mobo?

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Unfortunately, they use the "LGA2011-1".... NOT the LGA2011 (for e5 v1, v2) or LGA2011-3 (e5 v3, v4).

Super micro makes a two socket board, but it only comes in pre-built servers (looks like a proprietary riser), the x10DBT-T (link: Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10DBT-T)

The only other options I know of are crazy expensive still (at least when defined by "I have these 2 processors that I would love to be able to use, but I don't really know that they will even work for sure!"), I know there are CTO servers like the Dell R930(<deleted to correct bad info>), and a couple made by the likes of Sun and Cisco... But nothing I know of in a more moderate price range.

Mainly, I was wondering if anyone knew of any low cost ways to put them into use, some lower cost server line I don't know about, etc.

@gigatexal saw this... You might be interested in the difference https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/p...rvers-unified-computing/ucs-family-poster.pdf
The idea of blades that can handle that much RAM... Sheesh!

Last edited:

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
That's kinda what I was thinking. Maybe I'll stick them in the back of a drawer for a while until the next generation comes down to affordable prices. I won't relegate them to paperweight status quite yet. :)

Thanks, all!

Reactions: gigatexal