E5-2699 V4 VS Scalable/Epyc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Looking for some opinions on upgrading a pair of systems each running E5-2699V4 22 core CPUs. The systems work great but I may have a window of time in which to upgrade them. The issue is I'm not convinced there is much out there that would be worth upgrading to. An Epyc 7401p would add a couple of cores but the turbo speeds are nearly identical (both run @ 2.8Ghz with all cores maxed). Most of the Scalable processors are simply too expensive though the clocked might be higher. I'm not terribly unhappy with the CPUs but 2.8Ghz just makes them feel a bit less responsive than I'd like.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Without knowing anything about your specific workload unless you are using AVX512 where intel scalable would excel then I would say the upgrade is hard to justify , wait until atleast the next generation when some of the hardware fixes for the current security problems see hardware solutions.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Workload is just a couple dozen VMs, nothing that would require avx512. I tend to agree, there probably isn't much of a jump at the moment, I will probably stick with what I have for another year or two at least.

deepankar

Jun 21, 2015
I recently built a dual Epyc 7551 workstation. If you want me to run any benchmarks to compare Epyc performance on your workloads I would be happy to do so.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Wow that sounds like a beastly machine... I'm not sure there are any benchmarks that would tell me what I want to know but thanks for offering! Everything I've seen shows the IPC is pretty close on all modern CPUs so it comes down to clock speed and cores as a general rule. I may just need to wait a couple more generations to see any sort of significant improvement.