E5-2696 v4 on x99 EVGA Classified questions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

enkrypt3d

Apr 24, 2017
I just installed my ebay E5-2969 v4 OEM and was wondering if anyone had this issue? In device manager, for intel turbo boost tech 3.0:

upload_2017-4-28_22-21-14.png

I know the xeons do not have TBT 3.0 but how do I resolve this? The cpu does appear to run around 2.8Ghz under full load and then when idle, it does jump around between 2.8 and 3.6Ghz at times... is this what I should expect? Running windows 10 x64... thanks!

enkrypt3d

Apr 24, 2017
Sounds like its working fine? How do you want help?
Well I'm trying to understand why it has this error message in the dev mgr?

Also it's odd to me that when under full load it stays at 2.8Ghz but when "idle" it jumps all over the place. Turbo is enabled and on high performance power plan... Thoughts? I just want to be sure it is working as expected... thx

Feb 8, 2016
Well I'm trying to understand why it has this error message in the dev mgr?

Also it's odd to me that when under full load it stays at 2.8Ghz but when "idle" it jumps all over the place. Turbo is enabled and on high performance power plan... Thoughts? I just want to be sure it is working as expected... thx
Drivers & .inf from the mfg website are installed?
C states are enabled in the BIOS?
BIOS errata provides clues about the behavior and / or the BIOS is current?

enkrypt3d

Apr 24, 2017
Drivers & .inf from the mfg website are installed?
C states are enabled in the BIOS?
BIOS errata provides clues about the behavior and / or the BIOS is current?
Yes I'm using the latest chipset drivers which doesn't seem to solve this driver or device issue...

Also on the latest BIOS 2.04 which should work. EVGA support has said this CPU has not been tested so I guess that might be part of the problem even though they claim other Broadwell-E chips will work like the 6900K etc...

enkrypt3d

Apr 24, 2017
Should I be using a 6900K vs the 2696 v4? When doing regular day to day web browsing and productivity apps, of course the xeon doesn't really shine in which I hoped it did.... I do gaming, virtualization and multitasking .... thoughts?

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
26xx xeons do not support TB 3.0, did you try to install it? If so remove that crap, windows should not have installed that by itself.

Turbo in general is based on activity and TDP/power limits, you are only going to get up to 3.7 on 1-2 threads. Also the more recent cpus will change very rapidly, I would not use built-in windows metrics to determine actual speeds and expect meaningful results other than min and max.

It is not a "gaming cpu", it is for crushing lots of threads without having to suffer big drops from crossing sockets or numa memory. (internally it is a bit more complicated though) If you really are "multitasking" it is still the best one you can buy for now.

That being said I have one and it games like any 3.x broadwell cpu would, at higher resolutions you're going to be gpu limited anyways. When I had my titan xp (v1? lol @ nvidia) in there it was really no different than my 7700k system when playing at 4k.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
All core turbo frequency of the 2696V4 is 2.8GHz. Max turbo frequency is 3.7GHz. Although the 2696v4 isn't listed, the following table helps depict how the turbo frequency varies based on #of cores (2696 will be very similar to the 2699):

Also good reading:
Xeon E5v3 All Core Turbo and Amdahl's Law

enkrypt3d

Apr 24, 2017
Yea I tried removing the TBT 3.0 device from dev mgr but it tries to reinstall it when I reboot... Even on a clean install it does the same thing.

C states and turbo are all enabled as usual. If I disable turbo in the bios the system doesn't seem to run right so I have to leave it on.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
...It doesn't really sound like anything is awry? Have you run HWinfo64?

enkrypt3d

Apr 24, 2017
upload_2017-5-2_12-35-56.png

Yea it appears to be fine it's just a bit annoying to have that "failed" device in device manager... When I first put in the Xeon, the "Turbo" feature in HWinfo was red... after removing and updating drivers it seemed to go green for some reason... very strange.

enkrypt3d

Apr 24, 2017
At first I was disappointed in the way that chrome was performing (I normally have 50+ tabs open) and found this to really improve the performance over the 5960x which I just sold... Now I'm stoked as chrome runs 100% better now with these tweaks:

11 Ways to Speed Up Google Chrome

As far as the rest of the system goes, it seems to be great. I just need to add more SSD's! :D