E5-2690 build really sluggish

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Agremlin

May 3, 2020
I have just put together a HP Proliant ML350p gen8 with mods being replacing 2xE5-2620's with a single E5-2690 cpu, noctua CPU cooler and noctua fan replacements for the Delta fans following this thread https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/hp-ml350p-gen8-fan-replacement.21359/

I am using a clean install of Xubuntu on an SSD connected to one of the 3x SATA2 ports on the motherboard, build has 96GB of 1600MHz ram. The system has 6x1TB SAS drives in RAID5 that I havent written anything to.

The system is slow to the point of being unuseable (for me), tying characters in a terminal is really laggy, window drags are sluggish, using firefox for searching is pointless as searches take an inordinate ammount of time and tabs dont respond. Compared to E5-2690 v3, E5-2660v3 and i7-2600 based systems I have the ML350p is 10x slower than any of these for general tasks.

Running top doesnt show anything too out of the ordinary, though firefox and vncserver seem to consume more cpu% than other systems. Running sysbench shows the E5-2690 to be performing OK with single thread perfomance 16% less than the E5-2690v3 system I benchmarked. I checked for rootkits and none found.

Could there be some HP hardware throttling the machine?, thats the only thing I can think of.