Which mobo is better for 8 Bay NAS

• C236 WSI4-85L

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • X11SSV-M4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X11SSV-M4F

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
A way to check if opencl is properly running would be the MemtestCL utility from folding@home:
Download Utilities — Folding@home

It would be nice to know if , on the Iris pro, that utility runs without errors inside a virtual machine that's using GVT-g.
However, I'm not sure how to check the amount of memory available to the GPU or opencl without installing extra software.
Ok just as an initial test I ran that inside of Windows 10 Pro running on bare metal. I can only allocate between 1280-1385MB of video RAM to the test depending on my BIOS settings. A higher minimum size and aperture size ( both 1GB ) only allow the test to run with 1280MB. Setting them to the minimum 64MB minimum size and 128MB allow the test to work with up to 1385MB.

GPU-Z confirms the memory usage.

Sadly the BIOS has no option for auto but as it notes in my screenshot that should be dependent on OS and drivers.

The drivers are version 21.20.16.4542 which I think are the latest as of this post.

What I'll try to do over the next week is find a GVT-g hypervisor and see what happens with that.

I believe Intel had a bootable ISO of Xen with ubuntu VMs inside as a proof of concept type thing, I'll see if I can find that and try it.

Edit: So I guess as long as the hypervisor and Linux don't limit the Video RAM in any weird way like I'm seeing on Windows, I should, with trial and error, use the MemtestCL to see how much RAM I can test. The nice thing about it is it will error out if you try to test more than is available.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_6812.JPG IMG_6813.JPG

Last edited:

josh3light

Jul 28, 2016
Very cool, Thanks for testing. Looking forward to knowing the situation with GVT-g.

Ok just as an initial test I ran that inside of Windows 10 Pro running on bare metal. I can only allocate between 1280-1385MB of video RAM to the test depending on my BIOS settings. A higher minimum size and aperture size ( both 1GB ) only allow the test to run with 1280MB. Setting them to the minimum 64MB minimum size and 128MB allow the test to work with up to 1385MB.

GPU-Z confirms the memory usage.

Sadly the BIOS has no option for auto but as it notes in my screenshot that should be dependent on OS and drivers.

The drivers are version 21.20.16.4542 which I think are the latest as of this post.

What I'll try to do over the next week is find a GVT-g hypervisor and see what happens with that.

I believe Intel had a bootable ISO of Xen with ubuntu VMs inside as a proof of concept type thing, I'll see if I can find that and try it.

Edit: So I guess as long as the hypervisor and Linux don't limit the Video RAM in any weird way like I'm seeing on Windows, I should, with trial and error, use the MemtestCL to see how much RAM I can test. The nice thing about it is it will error out if you try to test more than is available.

View attachment 3858 View attachment 3859 View attachment 3860