E3-1230 v5 CPU temp...whats too high?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ch33rios

Nov 29, 2016
Hey all - recently I've been monitoring my CPU temps to see how efficient my cooler is and when firing up Prime95 and doing the 'max heat' test, the motherboard sensors noted a CPU temp of approximately 77C. I only ran it for about 10/15 minutes but it never really went beyond 79C.

Now I haven't done any sort of monitoring of CPU temps in a very very long time but this seemed a bit high to me. I tried to look at the specs in Intel's ARK site but there was no real notation regarding an 'upper limit' of sustained operating temperature before processor damage.

Further investigation in the E3 1200 v5 series data sheet does show, though, that the upper limit is in fact 100C but again, does that mean as long as I am below that I'm good to go? There's quite a bit of nomenclature around the thermal capabilities but its all over my head at the moment.

In short, what the heck is an appropriate operating temperature that does not pose a notable risk to the processor? My specs:

E3-1230v5 w/ Noctua L9i
Supermicro X11SAE-F
Front intake fan @ 1300 RPM, rear exhaust fan @ 1300 RPM
ESXi 6.5. Tests run from a Windows 10 VM

At idle, the CPU seems to sit in the low 30's with the fan running at about 700-800 RPM.

Appreciate the assistance as always!

William

May 7, 2015
Your fine. Maybe remount the heat sink, clean off the old TIM and apply new.

Keep in mind that Prime95 is an extreme benchmark and loads generated do not equal what you would do every day with your rig... ?

What type of case are you running this with ?

Reactions: Ch33rios

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Agreed with william you're good at those temps although not much higher, if that's what you're hitting in a stress test I wouldn't worry about it unless your workload is 100% load 24x7

Ch33rios

Nov 29, 2016
Your fine. Maybe remount the heat sink, clean off the old TIM and apply new.

Keep in mind that Prime95 is an extreme benchmark and loads generated do not equal what you would do every day with your rig... ?

What type of case are you running this with ?
I have a mid-tower ATX Bitfenix case. Nothing fancy. It can house another front intake fan if I so desire but if temps are ok now I think I'll wait a little longer to purchase 3 total noctua PWM fans to complete the setup.

Agreed with william you're good at those temps although not much higher, if that's what you're hitting in a stress test I wouldn't worry about it unless your workload is 100% load 24x7
Nope probably wont ever have sustained high load like that. It was very much a theoretical max

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
Supermicro has High critical treshold at 100°C. Dunno why, but I supose they got a reason for that.

I just checked our encoding farm and almost all servers go around 70°C (100% cpu usage during last 24 hours).

xeon_v5_temp.png

Reactions: Patrick

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
The CPU will start to throttle back automatically once +90*C is reached to keep the heat manageable. Modern CPUs are designed to not cook themselves as easily as they once could.