E-2200 series home server build request for comments

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Koutsikos

Apr 25, 2020
Hello!
I've been thinking of replacing my old (and trusty) Intel Pentium J2900 server with something more powerful. After some thinking I finally decided to use an E-2200 series Xeon. This is the build that I'm planning on getting:

CPU - Intel® Xeon® E-2226G (x1)
MOBO - Supermicro X11SCH-F (x1)
RAM - Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666MHz (M391A4G43MB1-CTD) (x2)
NVMe - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB (x1)
HDD - Western Digital Red NAS 6TB (256MB Cache) (x3)
PSU - Corsair RMx Series RM650x (140mm) (x1)
CASE - Thermaltake Suppressor F31 Black (x1)

It will be used mainly as a NAS. I'm also using Plex for media streaming, along with some other applications (everything hosted on a single cluster Kube). For the main OS, I'll be installing FreeNAS with an Ubuntu VM.

Any comments for the above setup?

Last edited:

Koutsikos

Apr 25, 2020
RAM required is UDIMM.
The module you listed looks to be RDIMM.
Thanks, I've updated the description!
Replaced Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666MHz (M393A4K40CB2) with Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666MHz (M391A4G43MB1-CTD). Not sure if that's the best option, I'm still looking into it

Koutsikos

Apr 25, 2020
Based on your modest needs maybe a 4 core will do for you and you can buy something completely made more or less.

PROVANTAGE: HPE P16006-001 HPE Proliant MicroServer Gen10+ E-2224 Quad-Core 16GB 4LFF NHP S100i 180W 1-Year

just an idea and while it’s a whole lot less interesting with no building it may end up cheaper and quieter , more power efficient and smaller.
I was initially aiming for a Gen10+, but I believe its somewhat restrictive (only 4 SATA, no NVMe, max 32GB RAM) and expensive for the features it provides. I could also go for an E-2224G, a C242 mobo and a stick of 32GB RAM and get closer if not lower to the price of a Gen10+ (still with double the RAM and more expansion abilities).

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I was initially aiming for a Gen10+, but I believe its somewhat restrictive (only 4 SATA, no NVMe, max 32GB RAM) and expensive for the features it provides. I could also go for an E-2224G, a C242 mobo and a stick of 32GB RAM and get closer if not lower to the price of a Gen10+ (still with double the RAM and more expansion abilities).
yes I realize was just throwing it out there as a very simple wife friendly kind of option.
They can run 1 x NVMe, and it’s possible 2 with bifurcation but it’s not been tested as I am aware just that the option exists in the bios.
Can also look at HPE ML30 that’s a bit bigger and more cores and slots both memory and PCIe
Dell and Lenovo have very similar systems.

I build stuff all the time but it’s usually because I want something special otherwise the basic cheap systems from vendors generally offer good value for money and an assured package.

Koutsikos

Apr 25, 2020
yes I realize was just throwing it out there as a very simple wife friendly kind of option.
They can run 1 x NVMe, and it’s possible 2 with bifurcation but it’s not been tested as I am aware just that the option exists in the bios.
Can also look at HPE ML30 that’s a bit bigger and more cores and slots both memory and PCIe
Dell and Lenovo have very similar systems.

I build stuff all the time but it’s usually because I want something special otherwise the basic cheap systems from vendors generally offer good value for money and an assured package.
I also look into HPE ML30! I chose a custom built solution because I like the process of searching and collecting / building the parts. Thanks for your recommendations!