Dynatron LGA3647 Cooler Options

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
One of the biggest challenges we have right now is finding coolers for our LGA3647 test platforms (for Skylake-SP / Xeon Scalable). Specifically, active coolers.

@William sent me an e-mail last evening with a link to the Dynatron B5 cooler:
Dynatron B5 Intel Socket FCLGA3647 Narrow ILM 2U Active CPU Cooler PWM LGA 3647 | eBay

Ordered this morning and already have tracking information.

I also saw the Dynatron B8 is available which is a copper passive unit: Dynatron B8 Intel FCLGA3647 2U Passive CPU Copper Cooler Heatsink | eBay

This post is partially a reference link for me. Already bought 4x B5's (two for me, two for William) and likely will end up grabbing more.

Supermicro allegedly has a 4U active heatsink, but we have been unable to source them.

Reactions: William

William

May 7, 2015
It says these are narrow, it will be interesting to see if they fit the boards we have.

Have you seen two different socket types ?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Aren't LGA3647 all 'narrow' ?
A lot of coolers in 2011 narrow seemed to be very tight with the ram or even obstructing it.

Wonder how long before we see water cooling blocks for the socket....

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Ordered twice from this seller. The first time it took 3 weeks. All the time the USPS tracking just said accepted and I gave up and ordered 2 Supermicro HS from Wiredzone. And both ended up being delivered on the same day.

Chalked it up to a freak shipping issue and placed an order for 4 more a couple of weeks ago. The same issue this time also. I have 4 nodes CPU, motherboard, RAM, chassis, SSDs and all other bits and pieces but no HS.

Driving me nuts. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ordered twice from this seller. The first time it took 3 weeks. All the time the USPS tracking just said accepted and I gave up and ordered 2 Supermicro HS from Wiredzone. And both ended up being delivered on the same day.

Chalked it up to a freak shipping issue and placed an order for 4 more a couple of weeks ago. The same issue this time also. I have 4 nodes CPU, motherboard, RAM, chassis, SSDs and all other bits and pieces but no HS.

Driving me nuts. :mad::mad::mad::mad:
How is the progress? I may be able to find 1-2 unused 2U Dynatrons and ship priority mail to you tomorrow if you think that is worthwhile. I have one that I also want to swap out for a 3U at some point. The 3U is an amazing PITA to install though.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
How is the progress? I may be able to find 1-2 unused 2U Dynatrons and ship priority mail to you tomorrow if you think that is worthwhile. I have one that I also want to swap out for a 3U at some point. The 3U is an amazing PITA to install though.
If you could send them it would be awesome. I'm itching to build the new boxes. I'm sure the 4 will reach me at some point and once they do I'll shoot them over to you.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Shoot me a note tomorrow morning your time as a reminder.

JSNAS

Dec 26, 2016
Patrick, I was wondering how it went trying the 3U Dynatron B11? Does it fit in a LGA3647 narrow-ILM motherboard (e.g. X11SPH-nCTF) with enough clearance on the DIMM slots?

You also mentioned the SuperMicro 4U (SNK-P0070APS4), which looks like it's for sale now. But the dimensions of it look too wide for narrow-ILM motherboards. Do you agree it won't work for the X11SPH-nCTF? Do you know of any other large active cooling options that might fit?

I'm trying to find the largest cooling option for the X11SPH-nCTF, and then swap the fan with a Noctua fan to get it as quiet as possible for an 85W SKU Xeon-SP 4110. And maybe even clip on a 2nd Noctua on the other end of the heat sink if needed.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@JSNAS the B11 I like quite a bit but have not tried the 4U Supermicro.

On the Dynatron heatsinks, they fit. The only concern is that they are very hard to service due to the fact they did not leave enough room for most T30 bits and drivers. I now have 2 of these long T30 bits just to install the Dynatron heatsinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I'm trying to find the largest cooling option for the X11SPH-nCTF, and then swap the fan with a Noctua fan to get it as quiet as possible for an 85W SKU Xeon-SP 4110. And maybe even clip on a 2nd Noctua on the other end of the heat sink if needed.
For the Xeon Silvers, even the Dynatron B5 (2U) with the 60mm noctuas is very effective (and quiet) Running it in 2 systems one with a 4110 and one with a 4114.

Reactions: Patrick

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
Anyone have thoughts on running a Dynatron B8 vs Supermicro MCP-310-29001-0N on dual Xeon 4110 in a SuperMicro 216 w/ air shroud?

JSNAS

Dec 26, 2016
@Patrick - Thanks for confirming the 3U B11 will fit. And also the tip about the T30 drivers. I did notice that the heat sink had deep "holes" drilled down the sides, I was wondering how to screw it in. I'll be sure to pick up those driver bits. I don't mind the service difficulties, as I don't plan to swap this at all (unless possibly if Noctua comes out with something better for LGA3647).

JSNAS

Dec 26, 2016
@K D - That's really good to know that the 2U B5 (with swapped Noctua fan) is both quiet and effective with 4110 and 4114. That gives me confidence that the B5 or the B11 should work just fine for me. Thanks for confirming!

JSNAS

Dec 26, 2016
@Patrick, @K D - By the way, do you use the stock thermal paste/grease that (I assume) comes with the Dynatron B5/B11? If not, what do you use?

JSNAS

Dec 26, 2016
@JSNAS the B11 I like quite a bit but have not tried the 4U Supermicro.

On the Dynatron heatsinks, they fit. The only concern is that they are very hard to service due to the fact they did not leave enough room for most T30 bits and drivers. I now have 2 of these long T30 bits just to install the Dynatron heatsinks.
Patrick, I'm wondering if the B11 may NOT fit in the X11SPH-nCTF (or any X11SPH_*, X11SPL-* or X11SPi-*). Looking carefully at the B11, the fan attaches beyond the boundary of the CPU socket (in contrast to the Dynatron B5 and the SuperMicro 2U SNK-P0068APS4 which stay within the boundary of the socket), and on the X11SPH-nCTF (or X11SPH/L/i) on the side towards the back (ie. towards the LAN connectors) away from CPU heatsink screw hole #2, there seems to be a skinny but somewhat tall heat sink for something else on the board (strangely, the MicroATX X11SPM-* motherboards put the same skinny heat sink on the front end of the motherboard, so those motherboards may be ok). Do you know if the B11 fan will avoid running into that skinny heat sink on the X11SPH-nCTF?

Has anyone actually used a B11 yet on similar motherboard?