DX010 / Sonic / L2 help needed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thefloyd

Dec 21, 2020
hey all, so I'm feeling really stupid these days and need a lifeline.

I managed to acquire a DX010 switch, get Sonic installed, drop Sonic back down to L2. All good. With all of my ports tagged to VLAN1000 I can interconnect my DX010 to one of my other switches (VDX6740 or VDX6940 at 40gbE). The link comes up.

I then proceed to add multiple VLANs to my link - I've tried removing VLAN1000 first and then adding several (VLAN1 untagged, several tagged) which then sends my link to admin:up oper:down. Remote side agrees, no link anymore. Attempts to reload the config tells me that swss isn't up/ready. 'docker ps' confirms the same. At this point nothing short of an entire reinstall gets me out of this problem. Further attempts were made to just add tagged VLANs, to skip VLAN1 (I thought ok - maybe conflict with the management port?) - but to no avail. I can get sonic installed and get to a flat L2 config with 32 VLAN1000 ports but can't seem to bring a multi-VLAN trunk up to another switch.

What am I missing here?

thefloyd

Dec 21, 2020
OK so I've narrowed it down.

The minute I 'sudo config vlan add 1' the entire system comes down. Most of the docker processes go down. The switch becomes essentially unusable.

Has anyone actually used vlan1 in sonic?

ofan

Aug 20, 2019
vlan 1 is reserved in linux and most switches, avoid using it when possible