Dude this should NOT be in a Dell Switch… or HPE Supercomputer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Since this did not get auto-posted to the forums (likely my fault): Dude this should NOT be in a Dell Switch… or HPE Supercomputer

We go into why an entire line of high-end Dell switches and possibly even a HPE Cray US military supercomputer have misspelled stickers that say American "MegatrAnds". This prompts big questions on how well the supply chain is being checked.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Looks like this one is getting some traction. Always nice.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
You obviously had a lot of fun making this video. I'm sure most people, myself included, didn't even pay attention to that sticker. I'm not surprised AMI responded the way they did. Damned if you do, damned if you don't because the length this error existed forces them to double down on the situation. You exposed not only the process within AMI but Dell and HP. And you're probably correct about Dell being sticklers when it comes to their supply partners.

Reactions: Patrick

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
We people are pretty easy to trick when it comes to things we're used to see. We actually most of the time see what we EXPECT to see.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I know the thread is old. But, after reading that story about the Dell switches, I've been compulsively checking labels every time I see them.

For example, the one in this post from over in the Great Deals section. Its an Ivy Bridge generation Riverbed appliance with....an American Megatrands sticker. So, looks like those stickers have been around for a long time!

I got my Riverbed server today. I was expecting what was pictured above however mine came with two 2GB DIMM's, dual 2.5" tray with second SATA/power cable, and an out-of-band management card. Now I need to purchase a power supply to make sure it boots.

View attachment 23635