Dual Xeon Gold 6154 Workstation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

beaker7

Mar 12, 2018
Build’s Name: make it faster
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit
CPU: 2x Xeon Gold 6154
Motherboard: Supermicro X11DPG-QT
Chassis: Nanoxia Deep Silence 6
Drives: 1x Samsung 850 Pro SSD boot, Intel p3608 1.6 TB cache, rest TBD
RAM: 384 GB Samsung 2666 DDR4 ECC, 12x 32GB
Add-in Cards: 3x Titan V on order, Xp's for now
Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i
Other Bits: Supermicro active heatsinks

Usage Profile: 3D rendering and fluid simulation, VFX

Other information…
pics to come

Reactions: William and balamit

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Woah..now that's a workstation..can't wait to see pics!

These builds here make my 7900x Workstation look amateur..gonna have to step up my game I think.

Having said that, it's all about use case.....

beaker7

Mar 12, 2018
Sorry for the delay in updates...this project has expanded to 3 separate 6154 builds.

I do have 2 questions for the forum:

I’m using the Supermicro 4u active heatsinks as I can’t find anything better, resulting in mid 80’s temps when under full load. This seems high but the Intel stability tool says max of 104. How hot is too hot for SP? I found that coolit has an AIO liquid cooler but since they don’t sell retail the minimum order is 1000 units. Noctua showed a prototype heat sink but claims no plans to produce.

Other question relates to 2 vs 3 UPI. Many Supermicro boards only have 2. Big performance difference?

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Isn't more than one UPI link only useful when you have more than two (more precisely: four) CPUs on a shared memory system? So that each CPU has a direct communication path to every other CPU on the board? Is it even possible to bundle these UPI links to get a higher bandwidth between two CPUs only?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Isn't more than one UPI link only useful when you have more than two (more precisely: four) CPUs on a shared memory system? So that each CPU has a direct communication path to every other CPU on the board? Is it even possible to bundle these UPI links to get a higher bandwidth between two CPUs only?
Exactly, in a 4 cpu config you get a cross bridge type setup rather than just a ring. In a 2 cpu setup I can’t iamgine it helps having the 3rd but maybe I read it wrong (and I have not touched a greater than2 cpu intel box for years... always scale out and not up after dual socket or got to IBM for power systems ;)

beaker7

Mar 12, 2018
I don’t know but then why would they bother making 2 socket boards with 3 UPI? About half of them do.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I don’t know but then why would they bother making 2 socket boards with 3 UPI? About half of them do.
Maybe 3 UPI is used on the ‘M’ versions with the extra memory or maybe all the 3 UPI cpu’s can use extra bandwidth but I hadn’t seen it described (google’ing just now I didn’t see anything other than the relevance to 4 cpu config)
Must be referenced somewhere why it is so...

beaker7

Mar 12, 2018
Ok so turns out (according to Intel) that max temp on the 6154 is actually 102 C which seems nuts. They are telling me that mid-high 80s under load is no big deal.