Dual Xeon-D

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
I've paid C$500 for one including FedEx delivery. I feel a little taken advantage of but I am not going to argue because it's in budget and I am an optimist that I can get the board to work even if it needs some soldering.

Edit:
I don't often buy RAM, anyone have any reason to suspect this Micron RAM won't work or isn't a good deal?

Last edited:
Reactions: itronin

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
Was checking out his other listings anyone else notice what looks to be a newer socket 3647 board that might be this boards cousin

Thanks for sharing. It is an interesting find, probably with an interesting story.
Having said that, I wouldn't touch this personally - you'd be saving very little money compared to a standard board (you can get them new for $370 from Newegg), and in return you'll probably be getting something with no updates or support.
Also - I would prefer not buy a board with a huge unprotected socket with zero protection against DoA...
Just my own 2c of course. Others might want to tinker :)

Reactions: bob_dvb

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
As I plan for the arrival of my board, and hopefully getting it working, I am realising I have another issue....
I only have one 10G SFP+ spare on my DGS-1510-52... Either I daisy chain the nodes and enable routing, or I get a Mikrotik CRS305 four SFP+ switch for core routing in my LAN.

zjr8

Jun 3, 2020
Was anyone able to get a dump of their FPGA firmware ? I finally had a chance to get a read off of the ROM with flashrom this that wasnt all zeros (but not positive its good as my SOIC burn in socket was being flaky / making poor contact so it took a few reads to get a full file) just need to get a blank to test the write to see if its good and will revive this other board I have with a dead FPGA ROM

Edit: new flash memory came today programmed with dump from other boards fpga rom chip and now have power on and post - going to try and edit MACs if I can find in My bios dumps to match board I cloned the fpga rom from to see if I get network working again (assuming I hit same driver issue experienced by others who just swapped roms)

Last edited:

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
Wondering if anyone has measured the power consumption of these boards?

I have a 600W PSU, but given the D-1541 chips are 45W... and typical D-1541 boards seem to run at about 75W... so can I get away with the 250W spare PSU sitting in my parts bin? Not planning any mechanical disk drives.

tp1

Feb 5, 2016
@bob_dvb My Kill a Watt meter was showing about 80W with minimal load and linux running on both nodes. I did run prime95 on both but dont recall what the max consumption was.

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
My board arrived from Canada without issue and very well packaged for the journey.

Future me would like to thank past me for buying a rack case which fits an EATX motherboard and for fitting a 600W PSU which has two ATX12V 8 pin connectors. Stripped out the very undersized Mini-ITX Supermicro C2550 that was hiding inside and the Asrock Rack board went in easily enough.

Starts to error code 3, which I presume is a RAM warning because I don't have any DDR4 RAM. Need to find something that will work in that now.

The fans don't spin up, I presume that's because the machine hasn't any RAM.

If anyone figures out the PANEL1 pin out I'd appreciate it!

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
If anyone figures out the PANEL1 pin out I'd appreciate it!
Panel1 appears to physically conform to the standard Asrock pin-out:

Operationally:

Power LED works as expected.
Power button doesn't seem to do anything as my boards power up when power is applied.
HDLED I have not observed working - doesn't mean it doesn't just that I wasn't looking when drive access were active.
Reset doesn't seem to do anything - reset buttons per node on back.

asrock-panel1.png

Reactions: bob_dvb

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
The plot thickens...
I found this listing for a Ciara Tech Orion-116 server node surfing through eBay. It has an identical port configuration and layout on the rear of the chassis, and the drive sled boards are prefixed with the same ASRock AK- model number. I wonder if Ciara Tech was the purchaser of these boards, and if we can get any documentation of the Orion-116 server from them.

Reactions: int0x2e

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
The plot thickens...
I found this listing for a Ciara Tech Orion-116 server node surfing through eBay. It has an identical port configuration and layout on the rear of the chassis, and the drive sled boards are prefixed with the same ASRock AK- model number. I wonder if Ciara Tech was the purchaser of these boards, and if we can get any documentation of the Orion-116 server from them.

I'm pretty sure you're spot on!
It's not a huge surprise actually. I think a high density storage node is a great use case for these boards.

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
Is anyone aware of a U.2 or Mini SAS to full size Pcie 4x adapters? I was looking at U.2 to M.2 then M.2 to Pcie 4x but that's a bit rough.
Not a need, more just wondering if that is a way of expanding.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Is anyone aware of a U.2 or Mini SAS to full size Pcie 4x adapters? I was looking at U.2 to M.2 then M.2 to Pcie 4x but that's a bit rough.
Not a need, more just wondering if that is a way of expanding.
I've been looking too, also OCP to x8 or x16 (physical).

m.2 to x16 so just providing this for completeness (and something similar was referenced previously)

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
I was also wondering about PCIe Female to Female. Combined with a Pcie to Mini SAS which might be able to run in reverse?

I am most interested in the U.2 because OCP network adapters and drive controllers are widely available. Not sure what I would do with the U.2 connectors otherwise.

craig5571

May 31, 2020
I have a nvme m2 drive in and it works
i am trying to install an m.2 drive and its not being recognized in either m.2 slot. and the bios is saying not detected. this is what i am using

@zjr8 what type of nvme m2 drive do you have in? is it sata or nvme? did you have to make any changes in bios or jumpers on motherboard?

tp1

Feb 5, 2016
@craig5571 Sata drive did not work in that slot for me, however NVME does work. Strangely, the bios did not detect the drive but linux picked it up. Did you boot into an linux installer to see if it is picked up?

zjr8

Jun 3, 2020
@craig5571 Sata drive did not work in that slot for me, however NVME does work. Strangely, the bios did not detect the drive but linux picked it up. Did you boot into an linux installer to see if it is picked up?
WD SN520 NVMe Gen3 X2 - I see them in a linux distro I *believe* it was also visible in bios but I can get the board back out and check currently messing around with fixing one that had the dead ROM.... SFP ports are working after cloning the FPGA rom of another board... just have to re-attach battery connector to see if it fixes the serial console giving a usb error on the second node where its detached.... board status lightly weirdly indicate its booting thought