Dual Xeon-D

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
I think it's a dual-node system, two CPUs with two independent sets of everything on one PCB (not SMP in the traditional sense). Can't find anything on the internet about it, one of those weird OEM boards. Nice find.

Edit: Found something a bit similar from Supermicro:
MBI-6218G-T41X | MicroBlade | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.
This Asrock thing looks like it might fit into an ATX case, though. I was just about ready to put an offer in when I noticed the PCIe slots are actually mezzanine connectors, which look like they might be compatible with what Asrock uses in their 1U servers, but I can't find any with regular PCIe slots on them. Too bad, I guess.

Edit edit: They might be OCP-standard mezzanine slots. The plot thickens...

Last edited:

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
I have been wanting a D-1541 and then two come along at once, in one package.

I wish that was a 16x and not a riser, or that a riser was included/available.

The m.2 is a good step though, just wish I knew if those are SFP+ or not...

Too many wishes...

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Stratus used to or maybe still do make some special systems that all code is executed in 2 sets it cpu and memory and compared for consistent result and high availability. But Xeon-D I have never heard of anything like this. Interesting fine for sure !

Reactions: dswartz

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
What's the point? It's not about energy effieciency at this point, and it's not about raw power.
I believe idea that it's all about high-availability and error correction. Something from HFT markets I think.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
What's the point? It's not about energy effieciency at this point, and it's not about raw power.
I believe idea that it's all about high-availability and error correction. Something from HFT markets I think.
This isn't the sort of setup that HFT uses. Clock speeds on Xeon-D are way too low.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
It’s $300, don’t think I would even touch it for $50 for interest. Somebody can always make an offer and tell us the result :)

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
I asked the seller what the LAN chipsets are. If it has 10GbE I'll probably buy it and try to get it running.

Reactions: Patrick

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
Wasn't me. The seller did said they would message me if it fell through. I also asked for some additional photos and got them:

The SFP ports are labelled SFP+, so my guess is they're 10GbE. I'm also speculating that the USB-B ports are serial-over-usb console ports, one for each node, driven by the FPGA.

Jimster480

Mar 12, 2020
Wasn't me. The seller did said they would message me if it fell through. I also asked for some additional photos and got them:

The SFP ports are labelled SFP+, so my guess is they're 10GbE. I'm also speculating that the USB-B ports are serial-over-usb console ports, one for each node, driven by the FPGA.
What a weird board... I wonder if any more will pop up. Could be a cool project if it works.

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
Given the location of these, I'd wager these were from OVH's BHS facility. Not the first time they had custom as rock rack boards built for them.

Reactions: Patrick

Jimster480

Mar 12, 2020
Given the location of these, I'd wager these were from OVH's BHS facility. Not the first time they had custom as rock rack boards built for them.
Really? I never realized that OVH used completely custom motherboards. I know they have datacenters with custom servers for this "building wide" water cooling loop but never thought about custom motherboards themselves.

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
Really? I never realized that OVH used completely custom motherboards. I know they have datacenters with custom servers for this "building wide" water cooling loop but never thought about custom motherboards themselves.
Yup. Check out the CEO/CTO's twitter, you'll see them :)