Dual Xeon-D

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
Nice link of the full debug codes:

I think my next step is to get the node booting of a drive, probably NVMe.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
Update to mine - looking at a few places to send it in for some hot air rework and then get to work. Found the CMOS battery holders, but hitting a roadblock getting the identical M.2 connector. Does anyone by chance know which Amphenol part would usually be the “tall” connector?

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
Update to mine - looking at a few places to send it in for some hot air rework and then get to work. Found the CMOS battery holders, but hitting a roadblock getting the identical M.2 connector. Does anyone by chance know which Amphenol part would usually be the “tall” connector?
I can't find 732L8 anywhere...

Edit:
Update on mine after today: I thought it was just the power that was an issue, but it looks like I am having ethernet issues with Node 0, it doesn't recognise the SFP+ DAC, but Node 1 does. So I will need to freshen up the flash because it seems to be the same issue as @zjr8 had.

Frustraingly Proxmox doesn't like being installed with a serial console, they have no console install option. So I either have to build an image using another machine or install with Debian. I have a Proxmox install on two SSDs already and I ran that on Node 1 but it wasn't showing up on my network as I might have hoped. But I think I will wait until I can flash the boot ROM before judging.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Navy_BOFH

craig5571

May 31, 2020
found this cool thing at amazon...
Ok,
i got the m.2 to pci-e adapter and hooked it up to a video card, i couldn't get the serial console to work for the life of me. ( hashtag total defeat) anyway with the video card installed , the bios comes up on the main screen and i tried to install esxi. 7.0 and i am now no longer getting the secure uefi boot error.. it just went away...

but the machine is not recognizing the onboard nics, i get an error message that no network cards are installed...
my question is do i have to do something special to enable them? my process was to load uefi defaults and then try the vmware install.. and over and over i get no network cards found

i also did not see the network cards in ubuntu 20.04 server lts...

other than the network cards not working , everything else is good
is it true the cards are
Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X552 10 GbE SFP+ ?

the network cards are showing as intel 15a7?
this is all from node 0. which has 32gb ddr4 pc2400t

Attachments

Last edited:

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
the network cards are showing as intel 15a7?
this is all from node 0. which has 32gb ddr4 pc2400t
Did you get lights on the SFP+ ports of node0, I only got them on Node1, so I am thinking I have the flash corruption. Just waiting for a ZIF adapter to be delivered on Monday so I can rewrite my flash.

Perhaps you could try Node1 instead?

craig5571

May 31, 2020
Did you get lights on the SFP+ ports of node0, I only got them on Node1, so I am thinking I have the flash corruption. Just waiting for a ZIF adapter to be delivered on Monday so I can rewrite my flash.

Perhaps you could try Node1 instead?
i got the same behavior on node 1 .. is there a way to deal with the flash corruption ? you mentioned a ZIF adapter, can you give me some details on what that is. and how to possibly , check / fix the corrupted firmware. what do i need to purchase?
thanks have a safe and happy holiday. i seem to get lights when i power on but then they go off.. i haven't really paid that much attention.

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
i got the same behavior on node 1 .. is there a way to deal with the flash corruption ? you mentioned a ZIF adapter, can you give me some details on what that is. and how to possibly , check / fix the corrupted firmware. what do i need to purchase?
thanks have a safe and happy holiday. i seem to get lights when i power on but then they go off.. i haven't really paid that much attention.
I am still figuring it out but I did find this very useful:

You need to find someone to give you the firmware image from a good machine, I have been given it by a member here but its not my place to share. Perhaps someone will contact you seeing this.

Bob

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I am still figuring it out but I did find this very useful:

You need to find someone to give you the firmware image from a good machine, I have been given it by a member here but its not my place to share. Perhaps someone will contact you seeing this.

Bob
So someone shared the firmware with you but you won't share with someone else ? OK, I'll remember this.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It's not my place to distribute what someone else shared with me, remember that as you like. If they has published it on here then they would have and they may yet.
Here's hoping others will see this and take note of your attitude. Maybe next time you need something from someone else it won't be forthcoming. I'll never share with you. Selfishness should never be rewarded.

zjr8

Jun 3, 2020
Sorry everyonewasnt trying to rub anyone the wrong way - I just haven't posted it publicly because I haven't had time to study it in depth / not sure if it is copyrighted / trying to prevent people from making random bricks etc.... was just trying to avoid attention and headaches lol. Haven't been keeping an eye on the thread daily my bad. If anyone needs it just PM me and ill send you a link to the dump I made and shared initially with bob from one of my boards

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
Sorry everyonewasnt trying to rub anyone the wrong way - I just haven't posted it publicly because I haven't had time to study it in depth / not sure if it is copyrighted / trying to prevent people from making random bricks etc.... was just trying to avoid attention and headaches lol. Haven't been keeping an eye on the thread daily my bad. If anyone needs it just PM me and ill send you a link to the dump I made and shared initially with bob from one of my boards
Thanks @zjr8, I haven't yet been able to use the image you shared and I wasn't going to distribute your image without your permission. But apparently that's me being selfish, sorry if you're being pressured by this unfortunate discussion.

Last edited:

zjr8

Jun 3, 2020
No pressure - as I said just wanted to try and figure out a bit more about it other then “here’s a magic file that revived mine” haha - I’m hoping to have a bit of time to play with starbleed to see if I can dump a decrypted rom image instead of the *presumably* encrypted one we have now

Starbleed describes in more detail here

just waiting on a proper jtag cable to show up from Europe

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
Okay, after a farce of trying to get the right SOP adapter for my mini pro flash programmer, I finally managed to read and reflash my flash IC, BU9.

The result?

NODE0 SFP+'s still don't work. :-(

Now wondering if I need to persist or just give up and get an OCP adapter instead...

Reactions: craig5571

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Montreal Computers dropped me a note this morning to thank me for some feedback I left and to let me know there were more dual node 1541 boards in stock.

I asked whether these boards were in better condition than the last lot they sold and they said the last lot was damaged in transport and these boards look much cleaner and are in better shape (obviously YMMV).

I asked if they would put together a discounted price for STH members via OBO and the answer was yes.

I just purchased 2 more (1 for a spare, 1 for another node pair) so there are 16 left in this lot.

You MUST use the Best Offer Link and you MUST put "Code STH-1541" in the message field.

Negotiated deal price via Best Offer is $275CAD per board.

Whether they'll go lower I do not know so you are welcome to use the discount or not but I figured it might be worth saving haggling to some of us and this is less than I paid last go round. shipped to the US the price works out to about $230 USD (after currency conversion) per board and I think that's a good deal.

Last edited:

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
Whether they'll go lower I do not know so you are welcome to use the discount or not but I figured it might be worth saving haggling to some of us and this is less than I paid last go round. shipped to the US the price works out to about $230 USD (after currency conversion) per board and I think that's a good deal.
They're definitely seeing the value in these... I paid $165 shipped for mine which I gave to a friend to repair when it showed up with a torn off M.2 connector - and others on here got working and complete ones for around $180. I am willing to go around $180-200 but not needing any repairs at all.

That said - I am having a hard time not throwing in an offer for another...

Reactions: itronin