Dual Xeon D 1528 in a 2U case.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Build’s Name: Janus
Operating System/ Storage Platform: esxi
CPU/Motherboard : Supermicro X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F, 6 Core Intel Xeon D-1528
Chassis: Circotech RM-2270

Drives: Intel 3500
RAM: 32 GB/node
Add-in Cards:

Usage Profile: Learn esxi/docker and other platforms .

I was an MS application developer and have always had a few Windows Server boxes that I have used for R&D. My virtualization experience has been limited to Hyper-V to host my various SQL/Exchange/Biztalk etc VMs. My current setup is (1) Gen 7 Microserver, (1) Gen 8 Microserver, couple of white box Dual Xeon nehalems in Chenbro 4U cases and 2 other file servers (Windows) based on Adaptec 5805 and 7805 with intel expanders.

I recently decided to do some consolidation and planned out the following layout

Lab :
(1) Dual Xeon (????) with atleast 64 GB RAM for Application development in a 4U Case
-- Will retain one of my existing servers for now and retire the other.
(1) 12-16 Bay FreeNAS File Server (Primary)
(1) 12-16 Bay FreeNAS File Server (Backup)
-- These will host important media (Photos/Home Vids), Documents and Backups. TBD.
(2) Xeon D Based esxi hosts
-- This Build :).
(1) Sandbox Server
-- TBD

Home :
(1) 8 Bay Media Server
--- Will Host all Media and serve a few plex clients, AD, DNS, Security Cam NVR, sabnzbd etc. Recently pulled the trigger on a U-NAS NSC-810 that was delivered today. Still undecided on Mobo/CPU to use here. This will run Windows 2012 R2.
(2) HP Micro Server Gen 7 running FreeNAS.
--- Will host backups for my workstation and the various laptops.

The Build :

I was looking to get the GigaByte MBD-DS3 1541 board but got a really good deal in ebay for a used Supermicro 1528. So went ahead and got one more from WiredZone.com as I was looking to build 2 identical nodes.

I had ruled out 1u cases due to the noise factor and came across the Circotech RM 2270 dual Mini ITX case which seemed to be a good bet for the Xeon D boards. Decided to bundle the PSUs along with the case from Cirotech.

When I first opened up the case after I got it, it was a mess of wires and everything longer than it really needed to be.WhatsApp Image 2017-02-23 at 8.30.00 PM.jpeg

The PSUs were very quiet but the 4 80 MM Case fans were too loud and were not PWM Fans. Ordered a 4 Noctua 800 Redux PWM fans to replace them. Also picked up a couple of 3.5 to 2 2.5mm brackets from my local Fry's for 3 bucks each.

Installation was simple. Cut all wires to a more manageable length and re-crimped them. installed the new Fans. Installed the SSDs. The SATA Cables I had were all too long. Ordered a pack of 8 inch cables from Amazon to complete the build.

Realized that I hadnt connected the Front USB ports to the headers but was feeling too lazy to customize the cable so just plugged them in. Added a few cable guides to keep the cables neatly grouped.

On Booting had issues with the IPMI running the fans at full speed as the Noctuas' low speed was below the threshold. Booted each of the boards with a freenas usb drive and used ipmitool to lower the fan speed thresholds.

Pretty Satisfied with the build So far.

2 CPUs, 12 cores, 24 threads, 128 GB RAM, Direct connected with 10GBase-T connections.

Now looking for some VMWare for dummies to start using it. Here's the final build.

WhatsApp Image 2017-02-24 at 5.08.55 PM.jpeg

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I havent measured noise levels. I have it sitting on my desk and hardly notice it above the ambient room noise under medium utilization. It's completely silent at idle. Here are the temperatures after about 6 hrs of cpu load testing. I plan to let it run for the rest of the day.

The case does not come with 2.5 to 3.5 adapters, just the chassis, PSU and power cables.

2017_02_28_11_27_34_https_172.16.10.192_cgi_url_redirect.cgi_url_name_mainmenu.png

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Very nice. I was interested in throwing my Xeon D boards (I have 4 of them) into cases like these but at the time none of the SFP+ boards came in Mini-ITX. Now that SuperMicro released some of their Xeon D boards with SFP+ in Mini-ITX form, this is tempting.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I'd never heard of Cirotech before. That chassis is really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

ps - I looked on their website that their dual-miniITX 1U chassis. Those things are a mess. With PSU placement there would be no way to cool them at all.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
What PSU's did you use?
Bundled the PSUs when I ordered the chassis. It was a brand I've never heard of before (ETASIS Electronics). In hindsight, should have got the PSUs separately. They run warm.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Very nice. I was interested in throwing my Xeon D boards (I have 4 of them) into cases like these but at the time none of the SFP+ boards came in Mini-ITX. Now that SuperMicro released some of their Xeon D boards with SFP+ in Mini-ITX form, this is tempting.
Any links? I've been looking but the only one I could find is the GigByte DS3 in Mini-ITX with SFP+.