Dual XEON 2696V4 + X10DAX Epic Disaster build - BSOD randomly - please help..

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vinceflynow

May 3, 2017
My RDIMM's are Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q and Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC4Q. (I know, mixed stepping for memory modules.)

These RDIMM's are on the tested memory list for the X10DRG-Q motherboard. Your X10DAX motherboard also list these Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC RDIMMs as tested memory.

Its rare to get bad production S-spec CPUs. If it was me, I would return the X10DAX, and get a X10DAi or X10DAC, which are almost the same, but with out the overclocking features. Then I would use memory from the validated list. When putting out this type of money for enterprise HW, I don't want to tinker with overclocking and non-validated memory modules.

But some people like to tinker. And to each their own ...

Good luck.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
I will test with another Crucial DDR4 model and a different PSU. If this fails, I will purchase the DDR4 modules on the SuperMicro tested list as a last resort. I do have all the overclocking features turned off on the X10DAX.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Update - I think i found the cause of the problems. Crucial website memory selector tool does not list the X10DAX for some reasons, but rather its other variants such as the X10DAC. I foolishly assumed they should be cross compatible but it turned out otherwise. I ran the crucial compatibility scanner on the limping X10DAX system and it recommends a totally different model number. Ordered the new kits and fingers crossed.

Crucial never failed on my other Supermicro systems and it shouldn't either on this dual CPU rig.

luckyneo

Mar 13, 2018
I finally received the CPU and had a chance to install it in my new system using the SuperMicro X10DAX motherboard. Unfortunately Windows 10 Pro is experiencing random and frequent BSOD with varying error messages such as whea uncorrectable error, irql_not_less_or_equal, kernel mode trap, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

I am using Crucial ECC ram that is compatible with the board, along with a Seasonic 1000W Titanium PSU. I also tried running the system in single CPU mode to try isolate the problem and the BSOD persists....any ideas?

The CPU steppings are:

CPU1 - SR2J0 (reading this off the headspreader)
CPU2 - Revision B00001B, Stepping 1, Model 4F CPU Family 6

UPDATE: ALL PROBLEM RESOLVED WOOOOHOOOOO!

Almost gave up and decided to plea for help online and an ex-lieutenant from the US Navy nuclear forces on anandtech saved my sorry butt. On a late Friday evening, he looked every every screenshot of my bios settings and told me to change two obscure XEON specific power saving features and it magically cleared up ALL my problems.

The following two are disabled on the BIOS:

- Disable C6 State Reporting
- Disable Spread Spectrum
I had a similar problem with a single E5-2675v3 system this looks like it has fixed my issue I had tried everything else reseating ram, removing ram, changing boot disk etc.... I was at the point of giving up the machine was BSOD or freezing all the time. Found this post last night changed the BIOS settings and so far so good. Many thanks for your post and to the ex-lieutenant :)