Dual mirrored 2.5 inch drives in a 3.5 inch slot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cbarbie

Mar 10, 2011
US-VA
I have a SC486 with limited open slots.

I would like to add two 2.5 inch SSDs into one slot. I vaguely remember some adapter with onboard hardware that would mirror the two drives and present it as one drive to the system.

I am not sure if it existed or if my senility is kicking in. Anyone else remember it, or should I listen to my wife and get tested for memory issues?;)

Closest thing I found was this - Icydoc ToughArmor MB992SKR-B, but I am not sure I could make it fit.

Last edited:

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i should say be carefull which product and which chipset you choose.

i have had some problems with jmicron chipset when tried to read S.M.A.R.T. data from hdd.
only hd sentinel could read S.M.A.R.T. data with jmicron chipset, while crystaldiskinfo or smartmontools couldn't.

i dont have experience with asmedia chipsets

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If you have a Supermicro 846, why don't you just either get the rear hot-swap kit or use one of the 4 x 3.5" drive bays (depending on which generation you have)? That won't cost you any of the front hot-swap bays.

cbarbie

Mar 10, 2011
US-VA
Thanks for your suggestions. I had forgotten about the internal space next to the power supplies. I only have one power connector coming from the PDU. I should be able to split that for two drives.