Dual Epyc 7302 on Gigabyte MZ71-CE0

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

UHMKA

May 12, 2021
Hello together,

I received this week new components to build a workstation for CFD. I did this a dozen times before, normally successful.
Always Xeons, this is my first AMD since 2009.

Unfortunately the delivery chains for DDR4 ECC broke down in the whole of Europe, you almost can't get 16 identical sticks.
So I could only test for now with 4x Kingston Server Premier 8 GB DDR4-3200 reg ECC DIMM CL22 Single (KSM32RS8/8HDR).

The problem:
The board starts up for 2 sec. And than the power supply does a click noise and the fans stop. It starts up again, clicks, starts up, clicks and so on every 2 sec.

Debugging so far:
  • I changed the power supply ION+860P to another one, same behavior.
  • Removed all attached components -> same
  • Using only 1 CPU on CPU0 -> same
  • Using only 1 CPU on CPU1 -> totally dead, but the leds stay constantly on, no clicking of the power suppy!
So far there are some open question for me:
  • Does an Epyc 7302 require all RAM channels to be filled? (Xeons at least run on ... with dead banks)
  • Should I be able to access the BIOS without RAM and CPU?
  • The CPUs didn't come with the plastic mounting frame one could see in videos. Are these frames necessary?
Do you have any good idea how to proceed?

Thanks in advance! Uwe

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Does an Epyc 7302 require all RAM channels to be filled? (Xeons at least run on ... with dead banks)
No. Minimum config is 1 DIMM (per CPU I think)

Should I be able to access the BIOS without RAM and CPU?
I don't know a single board where that would work.

The CPUs didn't come with the plastic mounting frame one could see in videos. Are these frames necessary?
No. I have also installed them without the frame. Are you sure that you've put them in the right way?

However, the behaviour you describe sounds much like a dead board. My board was DOA and there was another guy here in STH with a DOA MZ71-CE0.
I suggest to RMA the board, the quota of DOA MZ71-CE0s is pretty high apparently

UHMKA

May 12, 2021
Thanks!
I don't know a single board where that would work.
I had one which at least complained that it couldn't find RAM.

Are you sure that you've put them in the right way?
There are some holes in the rim, that you can only mount them one way.

behaviour you describe sounds much like a dead board.
Yes ... I just hopped somebody tells be I'm just to stupid to find the obvious solution.
Delivery (and RMA) times are somehow astronomic this year.

Thanks!

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
And I have read from one guy who claimed he put a 24-pin in the wrong way - without noticing. There are monsters out there ;)

Did you already try the setup outside of a case? Maybe something is shorting on the back.

UHMKA

May 12, 2021
No success on a wooden workbench as well ....

For me its is now another DOA. I'll give an message if anything changes.

Meanwhile I started diskussing with the reseller about a change. They, as expected, suggest it is not a problem of the board but the other components or the double left handed customers.

and: Above mentioned monsters out there have their own supreme directive "If brute force doesn't work, you aren't using enough".

Thanks!