Dual E5-2670 build in the smallest case NZXT S340

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
I'd like to share a dual Xeon workstation build I finished two weeks ago:

Original Config as of Jan-2016:
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670
Heatsink: 2x Noctua U12DX i4 with NF-F12 PWM
Motherboard: Intel S2600CP4 C602 Server Motherboard SSI-EEB Form-Factor
RAM: 8x 8GB HP Genuine Samsung DDR3-1333 Registered ECC, 64GB total.
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW
Sound: ASUS Xonar DX
Other: NEC Renesas USB 3.0 with internal header, PCI-E x1 Card
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2, 140mm fan, passive at low load
SSD: Intel 520 120GB
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001
Case: NZXT S340 White
Case Fan: 2x Noctua P14s Redux 1200-PWM, 1x Scythe Slipstream PWM

UPDATE:
Latest Config as of Aug-2016:
SSD: Micron M500 480GB
HDD: WD 5TB Green WD50EZRX
Rear Fan: NF-P12 PWM-1300 RPM
GPU: Asus ROG STRIX GTX1070-OC

The case is the result of week of research to find a smallest case that can accommodate SSI-EEB form factor with maximum cooling potential and minimum amount of mod. In the end I have modded the case to accommodate SSI-EEB sized motherboard by removing the cable management bar, then drill additional motherboard stand holes according to SSI-EEB standard, then fabricated a steel support plate on the back of the case using an old case parts. Out of the box the motherboard hole only lines up in 3 of 9 places. Now after drilling holes and adding a support plate, all 9 wholes are lined up perfectly.

The case fans idle at 600RPM, CPU fans idle at 700RPM in summer here (NZ) and CPU idles at 38~42C. The entire system is as quiet as my previous PC which only had a single 120mm fan.

One other thing to mention is after upgrading the firmware of the S2600CP4 board to the latest version (July 2015), it reports itself as ACPI-S3 capable and Windows 7 sleep-resume works perfectly! Almost all server boards do not support ACPI-S3 sleep but this one certainly does and it will make my electricity bill look a lot better!

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@FunkyRider83 great build. I always struggle to find small cases that fit these larger motherboards. I tend to jam them in Supermicro SC732 cases.

Just an idea, maybe that should be its own thread here: DIY Server and Workstation Builds

Let me know if you would want it moved, I can do so on the admin side.

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
@FunkyRider83 great build. I always struggle to find small cases that fit these larger motherboards. I tend to jam them in Supermicro SC732 cases.

Just an idea, maybe that should be its own thread here: DIY Server and Workstation Builds

Let me know if you would want it moved, I can do so on the admin side.
Since I am a new member, I wasn't aware of the sub-forum. If you can help to move the thread it would be nice, I will edit it afterwards to add more info. Thanks!

spectrumknight

Feb 8, 2016
Very nice build. Considering the clean air flow, have you try to stop/remove the fan on both CPU's heat sink to see what temps show up ?

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Very nice build. Considering the clean air flow, have you try to stop/remove the fan on both CPU's heat sink to see what temps show up ?
I'd think he would need ducting and higher noise/ speed fans to keep those processors cool, especially #2 CPU.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
This looks very nice. Does it have hackable bios to add boot support for sm951 and NVMe cards?

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
The heatsink fins are somewhat dense so I don't think passive airflow is going to be enough to cool them, as the other guy said, CPU 2 is always at least 5C higher in temperature so the push fans with enough static pressure is a must for a pair of 115W CPUs.

At idle the front/rear fans run at about 600RPM and CPU fans run at 700RPM, this is summer in NZ at around 25C room temperature. CPU 1 idles at 35C and CPU 2 at 40C. Without the CPU fans I will have to run the case fans at maximum RPM and the temp is still worse.

Running Prime 95 small FFT the fans auto rev to maximum, case fans at 1200RPM, CPU fans at 1500RPM, the load temperatures are around 60C/70C for CPU 1 and 2 respectively.

I am still thinking about putting some air duct so fresh intake can make its way to CPU 2 so it doesn't always run on the hot exhaust of CPU 1.

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
This looks very nice. Does it have hackable bios to add boot support for sm951 and NVMe cards?
Unfortunately not straightforward. I have researched on this and successfully made a modded BIOS with the mvne ffs driver using AMI bios editor. However I got stuck at the step where the motherboard rejects the modded BIOS due to security / signature issue. I found some tutorial to use AMI's bios flashing tool to force a flash however sometimes it can results in an incomplete flash due to protected regions not unlocked so I backed off for now.

Maybe when I can actually get my hands on a NVME drive I will be itching to try again.

Reactions: Braza3

canta

Nov 26, 2014
just see this thread

my worried are:
1) the heat does not got out from the case easily
2) 2 cpu fans and small case? heat is the enemy

I would suggest. make a duct style that heat from cpu fan/heatsink goes directly to from the case,

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
one more thing, did you measure power draw in idle and load ?
Idle at about 100w, gaming about 250w and Prime 95 all cores loaded 350w.

Using current 750W PSU, upgrade to a beefier single GPU should be okay but running CF might not.

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
just see this thread

my worried are:
1) the heat does not got out from the case easily
2) 2 cpu fans and small case? heat is the enemy

I would suggest. make a duct style that heat from cpu fan/heatsink goes directly to from the case,
Size does not indicate the ability to cool, the air exchange rate does.

The main problem is the rear exhaust. The mesh is too dense so heat gets trapped there. I am planning to use dremel to completely remove the rear exhaust mesh, then it becomes an unobstructed wind tunnel, should help greatly in fully loaded scenario.

However, currently in NZ summer if I crank fans at 100% (1200RPM front x 2, 1300RPM rear) even in Prime 95 small FFT mode the fully loaded temp for CPUs are just 55C and 65C, although it runs relatively loud to my taste. Removing the rear mesh should make it achieve the same temperature with fans running slower.

canta

Nov 26, 2014

The main problem is the rear exhaust. The mesh is too dense so heat gets trapped there. I am planning to use dremel to completely remove the rear exhaust mesh, then it becomes an unobstructed wind tunnel, should help greatly in fully loaded scenario.

However, currently in NZ summer if I crank fans at 100% (1200RPM front x 2, 1300RPM rear) even in Prime 95 small FFT mode the fully loaded temp for CPUs are just 55C and 65C, although it runs relatively loud to my taste. Removing the rear mesh should make it achieve the same temperature with fans running slower.
size is matter too or you need to force cold air with high pressure fans.

that is I am talking about on size, by removing some parts that ease cold air flow would help.

I moved from small case and packed with 2X of 5 of 3.5" slots, I had to cranck up back fans with high pressure fans.

you need make ducting system on cpu to take out heat directly..

those are my understanding and experience :D. you can argue too...

I believe removing rear mesh is partial solution,

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
Wow, great looking build. Ridiculously clean looking. I was very tempted to pick up one of those Intel boards on ebay - nice that the bios update helped you out. What did you use to measure power draw? Thanks. :)

Feb 8, 2016
Perhaps wire grill for the (yet to be modded vent) rear fan? A black one. Fleabay link.

Suggest rotating the heatsinks 90 degrees to push the exhaust up. Yes, that sounds counter intuitive, but you avoid the downstream CPU getting the very short end of the stick. You will see the CPU temps even out.

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
Wow, great looking build. Ridiculously clean looking. I was very tempted to pick up one of those Intel boards on ebay - nice that the bios update helped you out. What did you use to measure power draw? Thanks. :)
Glad you like the idea, the thing to measure power draw is just off the shelf kill-a-watt meter. Not very accurate but gives a general idea.