EU Dual E5-2600 Foxconn Server £250

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
Seems like there is no RKVM support at all, which is understandable as it is cloud server. There is supposed to be auto provisioning on it.

ostlere

Jan 7, 2017
Hi!

I've just found this thread. I have four of these servers. They function as a small render farm. Until this point I started and shut them down one by one. Based on the information found on this thread I managed to login to the IPMI. Thanks for that :)

For know i can reset, turn on and off all my machines remotely one by one. However I'm looking to do this in a batch process. Do you guys have any idea if it is possible to do this for the the whole farm?

At this point there are only four machines but soon I will order more of them. As the machine count grows will be the management process more and more inconvenient.

You might be interested in that my IPMI screen looks a bit differently, like the one posted a few post earlier.

Attachments

Jb boin

May 26, 2016
Grenoble, France
www.phpnet.org
The screenshots from the previous page seems to be from another model (Quanta 2ML) : Quanta 2ML Render Farm - rack, 10 dual e5-2670 and 10Gb switch $3850

I have both models : the Quanta have the same interface as the screenshots on the previous page while the Foxconn have the same interface as you just pasted.

As for the remote IPMI acces, it can be done with ipmitool, for example with a Quanta 2ML (the Foxconn is on a shelf ATM) :
Code:
# ipmitool -I lanplus -H 10.0.0.x -U login bmc info
Password:
Device ID                 : 32
Device Revision           : 1
Firmware Revision         : 1.26
IPMI Version              : 2.0
Manufacturer ID           : 7244
Manufacturer Name         : Unknown (0x1C4C)
Product ID                : 12877 (0x324d)
Product Name              : Unknown (0x324D)
[...]
If you dont want to be prompted for the password, you can specify it with "-P" (dont forget to "unset HISTFILE" before if using a shell that keeps commands history and if possible put the password on a file and read it using "-P $(< passwordfile)" as "ps" or "/proc/$PID/cmdline" would reveal to any user on the system the password you passed on the command line).

And dont use the "admin" user but create one with only operator privileges (it can start/stop the server but not modify the IPMI settings).

Reactions: Yarik Dot

ostlere

Jan 7, 2017
The screenshots from the previous page seems to be from another model (Quanta 2ML) : Quanta 2ML Render Farm - rack, 10 dual e5-2670 and 10Gb switch $3850

I have both models : the Quanta have the same interface as the screenshots on the previous page while the Foxconn have the same interface as you just pasted.

As for the remote IPMI acces, it can be done with ipmitool, for example with a Quanta 2ML (the Foxconn is on a shelf ATM) :
Code:
# ipmitool -I lanplus -H 10.0.0.x -U login bmc info
Password:
Device ID                 : 32
Device Revision           : 1
Firmware Revision         : 1.26
IPMI Version              : 2.0
Manufacturer ID           : 7244
Manufacturer Name         : Unknown (0x1C4C)
Product ID                : 12877 (0x324d)
Product Name              : Unknown (0x324D)
[...]
If you dont want to be prompted for the password, you can specify it with "-P" (dont forget to "unset HISTFILE" before if using a shell that keeps commands history and if possible put the password on a file and read it using "-P $(< passwordfile)" as "ps" or "/proc/$PID/cmdline" would reveal to any user on the system the password you passed on the command line).

And dont use the "admin" user but create one with only operator privileges (it can start/stop the server but not modify the IPMI settings).
Thanks for the fast reply, I really appreciate the help. However I'm a bit lost with ipmitool tool, nut sure that the solution you described works on windows or not. But the idea gave me a hint and I found a tool for windows that can handle these servers through the management port.

original forum thread:
Is there a good IPMI client tool for Windows? • r/sysadmin

download link for the managment app:
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMIView

Just tried the app and I can confirm that despite this app is supermicro branded it works with the Foxconn servers. Now I can manage all of my machines with in click from a windows machine. Hope this info will help others too.

radiator

Jun 13, 2017
Hi to all,
i think to buy one of this server with 256 GB Ram for an test lab.
Have anybody experience on this Hardware for Server 2016 as HyperV Host?

Ritte

May 18, 2017
If I use SFP+ to 1000Base-T converter, will I be able to use this server to connect internet or is it only to connect to ipmi?

If no, will using a pcie network card solve it?

Abdurrahman

Jul 6, 2017
Hello Guys,

Thank you very much for the massive information you put.

I am planning to buy one server with 64 GB in order to use it a virtualization server that I can use to test Openstack Cloud. This means that I will need to have Nested Virtualization support. My Hypervisor will be Linux KVM and I am going to run it over CentOS 7.

Does anyone try Nested Virtualization using these nodes?

Thank you in advance.

Jb boin

May 26, 2016
Grenoble, France
www.phpnet.org
  • The IPMI has its own RJ45, the SFP+ is only for the system, using a PCIe or USB network card is also a possibility
  • About the virtualization, i dont know about nesting but keep in mind that some E5 V1 revisions have VT-D, some doesnt (if its of importance for you)
  • There is no upper cover for those, as its supposed to fill cabinets, the server on top is supposed to act as its cover

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
Hey, have any of you guys come into the issue where when you power down the server then you are not able to power the server back up again? mine won't allow me to power up via the ipmi or by pressing the physical switch on the machine. When accessing the ipmi, all the other power options are unselectable. I've pulled the plug to completely drain power from the system but no avail, I can also see one of the green lights flashing inside the machine. I'll have to pull the machine out to see which it is.

John Gorst

Oct 15, 2017
Does anyone know whether these work nicely with FreeNAS?

What disc controller does it use? Does it do AHCI passthrough?

What do people do if they are running these as a single unit - leave it without a lid or just put something over it to maintain air throughput?

Mkvarner

Jan 3, 2015
It uses the chipsets SATA controller. I am 99% sure that it would work with FreeNAS. Haven't tried it myself though.

I can passthrough it in ESXi, won't try though as it's my only controller.

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
Thanks for that info.

What do you do with regards no lid?
My solution was to put a spare piece of wood on top of it to aid airflow, but I plan to put the old faulty machine on top instead.

As a sidenote, BargainHardware has pretty exceptional customer service

Ritte

May 18, 2017
Does anyone know whether these work nicely with FreeNAS?

What disc controller does it use? Does it do AHCI passthrough?

What do people do if they are running these as a single unit - leave it without a lid or just put something over it to maintain air throughput?

I’ve taken out the motherboard, CPUs, ram etc and bought a nice regular desktop chassi. Works great and looks great.

This is the chassi I bought:
Phanteks Innovative Computer Hardware Design

It needs to support eATX/SSI EBB

I’m running Ubuntu on mine, can’t see why it wouldn’t run freeNAS.

Last edited:

Mkvarner

Jan 3, 2015
Have you tried using yours as a desktop? If it's standard SSI EEB I could be interested in trying to buy another server, dual 2670s and use it with my 1060.

Ritte

May 18, 2017
Have you tried using yours as a desktop? If it's standard SSI EEB I could be interested in trying to buy another server, dual 2670s and use it with my 1060.
I did install lubuntu and can’t see why it wouldn’t work as a desktop if you have a proper gpu.
The integrated gpu worked for basic tasks in lubuntu. I use it as a headless server with the GUI disabled, so don’t have any more to say more that this.

I think it was SSI EEB, I Initially thought it was eATX but did som reasearch and found out it was SSI EEB. It was a while ago, don’t have the facts fresh in my mind and the serve is a remote one, can’t check it for you.

Last edited:

John Gorst

Oct 15, 2017
Thanks all. Still not decided what to go for!

Anyone tested the idle power use yet?
I was thinking of a 6core, single processor with 32gb

Calcipher

Dec 8, 2017
Does anyone know if these ones : Quanta Cheap E5-2600 (LGA 2011) Sixteen Core Cloud Server (Configure-To-Order)
can be used with v2 processors?
There are v1 and v2 revisions of the board and I first wanted to buy a board with v1 processors and maybe later upgrade to v2.
The question is if this can be accomplished merely by a BIOS update and if yes where to get the files or if you would need to buy the v2 mainboard?
They seem to be similar to the boards in this thread and the same like the natex boards but info on v2 support is scarce.