EU Dual E5-2600 Foxconn Server £250

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fringfrong

Aug 28, 2016
I was looking at the Quanta 2ML boxes from Natex for a cheap colo box but shipping was prohibitive to UK. This seems like much the same thing but a bit cheaper- Cheap E5-2600 Sixteen Core Cloud Foxconn Server (Configure-To-Order)

Base price is £79.99, but you're forced to add 2xCPU and RAM. I got 2x 2650s with 64GB RAM for £275 shipped.

One of the SFP+ ports seems non-functional- NIC is detected but link never established. Plugging a module into the other port reboots the machine, but port works when it comes back up.

Shame there is no PCI-E, but with 6x SATA SSD I think this will make a reasonable low-cost VM host.

fringfrong

Aug 28, 2016
Hey, thanks for sharing!

Do know how noisy this stuff is given it's got many small fans?
Yes, very. Once system boots it quietens down a bit, but wouldn't want to be in the same room when it's on. Lack of a lid probably doesn't help here.

general.zod2

Oct 18, 2016
Very interesting. Is it possible to know what form factor the motherboard is? Perhaps it can be relocated into a quieter case?

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Any idea of a part number on the Chenbro chassis? I'd love to buy this barebones to use some of my pile of X5650s and RAM but they won't sell me it :( Seems a bit like false advertising to me to have the starter price which you can't buy it at because of compulsory options. To quote from Trading Standards pricing practices guidelines:

"2.1.1 The CPRs prohibit traders from giving misleading information about prices, which could include indicating a price for goods or services which is lower than the one that actually applies"

general.zod2

Oct 18, 2016
Completely agree. I just want the motherboard. For some reason they won't sell just the motherboard. I already have CPUs and RAM. Are there any other merchants that are willing to sell just the motherboard?

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Might see if I can have a quiet word with Lancashire Trading Standards but in fairness they've probably got bigger fish to fry

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Does anyone here have any idea on wether you can install windows on this machine? Sorry for the double post, in the middle of buying.

fringfrong

Aug 28, 2016
Does anyone here have any idea on wether you can install windows on this machine? Sorry for the double post, in the middle of buying.
I haven't tested Windows, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

Jb boin

May 26, 2016
Grenoble, France
www.phpnet.org
Completely agree. I just want the motherboard. For some reason they won't sell just the motherboard. I already have CPUs and RAM. Are there any other merchants that are willing to sell just the motherboard?
Their price are already very low, if they start to sell these servers part by part for a lower price that the complete server, they will spend more time to unmount and pack and they will be left with stocks of empty chassis, CPUs, RAM and such that would prove hard to sell on their own.
Especially as these racks are not the most common not modern models : Its next to impossible to resell these chassis/PSU by themselves (and shipping cost wouldnt be a great motivator for potential buyers).

If you are a good customer or want to buy a great quantity, they might be able to sell you parts only (they have been able to do so to us in the past with us).

That being said, the 2U Chenbro can be configured with only one £10 CPU and 16Gb of RAM which makes the whole server cost £79 exvat, which is still less than a dual S1366 Supermicro motherboard without coolers or any other parts.

The Foxconn in its cheapest configuration costs £225 which is also cheaper than a dual S2011 Supermicro motherboard with coolers and you still can try to resell the rest of the parts that you dont need.

Reactions: Jack-BH

Mkvarner

Jan 3, 2015
That being said, the 2U Chenbro can be configured with only one £10 CPU and 16Gb of RAM which makes the whole server cost £79 exvat, which is still less than a dual S1366 Supermicro motherboard without coolers or any other parts.
Do you know which caddies the 2U Chenbro requires? It seems like a great deal for a cheap storage server. Also struggling to find information about the RAID controller. But worst case scenario is buying a cheap HBA.

Jack-BH

Oct 21, 2016
Do you know which caddies the 2U Chenbro requires? It seems like a great deal for a cheap storage server. Also struggling to find information about the RAID controller. But worst case scenario is buying a cheap HBA.
Hi there.

I work for bargain hardware, apologies for the vague listing, we also struggle to find information on these sorts of servers sometimes. I've just uploaded the model number that is; RM23212-02C. I hope that helps you locate some caddies, i'm afraid we've not ever stocked these. If you need any other information just let us know. Cheers.

Reactions: Mkvarner

Jack-BH

Oct 21, 2016
Any idea of a part number on the Chenbro chassis? I'd love to buy this barebones to use some of my pile of X5650s and RAM but they won't sell me it :( Seems a bit like false advertising to me to have the starter price which you can't buy it at because of compulsory options. To quote from Trading Standards pricing practices guidelines:

"2.1.1 The CPRs prohibit traders from giving misleading information about prices, which could include indicating a price for goods or services which is lower than the one that actually applies"
Hi John

Apologies about the confusion here. The "starting" price on our current site is pretty poor, unfortunately it's not a feature we can control, the starting price on a configurable model is always the cost you associate to the chassis. On our new site (Currently in development) we've had it coded so that the "Starting Price" is the cheapest possible configuration using all configurable options that are required.

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
I got one of them last week. Its pretty awesome server and you can mod the hell out of it. Will be getting 2-3 more of them soon.

Jb boin

May 26, 2016
Grenoble, France
www.phpnet.org
I had success connecting one of the SFP+ cards to a Juniper switch using a Solid-Optics DAC (Direct Attach Cable) and also to a Dell C6220 that has an add-in SFP+ card.

The IPMI login page is branded with an "Avocent" logo on the left and an "Emerson Network Power" logo on the right, once logged it shows :
Product Name: MergePoint EMS
Product Information: MergePoint Embedded Management Software
Firmware Version: 0.0.65535
Building Time: Mon Apr 16 11:10:27 CST 2012
ASIC Type: ast2300
It doesnt have vKVM functionality (at least not displayed on the interface) and its possible to connect via SSH to the IPMI (with a limited shell).

More informations gathered from the system :
# ipmitool fru
FRU Device Description : Builtin FRU Device (ID 0)
Chassis Type : Rack Mount Chassis
Chassis Part Number : 1A3239H00-600-G
Chassis Serial : PGJA31001601
Board Mfg Date : Fri Jan 4 19:12:00 2013
Board Mfg : FOXCONN
Board Product : Pangu-A
Board Serial : 020118B00033121HF
Board Part Number : 020118B00-600-G
Product Manufacturer : FOXCONN
Product Name : JASPER12
Product Part Number : 1A3239H00-600-G
Product Serial : PGJA31001601
Product Asset Tag : 2344001196
The BMC firmware can be backuped (and should be flashable) using "socflash" :
# ./socflash.sh -b backup-foxconn.bmc
ASPEED SOC Flash Utility v.1.14.00
Find ASPEED Device 1a03:2000 on 7:0.0
MMIO Virtual Address: c4752000
Relocate IO Base: 7000
Found ASPEED Device 1a03:2300 rev. 21
Static Memory Controller Information:
CS0 Flash Type is SPI
CS1 Flash Type is SPI
CS2 Flash Type is NOR
CS3 Flash Type is NOR
CS4 Flash Type is NOR
Boot CS is 0
Option Information:
CS: 0
Flash Type: SPI
[Warning] Don't AC OFF or Reboot System During BMC Firmware Update!!
[SOCFLASH] Flash ID : 1820c2
Find Flash Chip #1: MXIC MX25L12805D
Backup Flash Chip O.K.