Dual 2696V4 BSOD continues with the ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
At this stage, I am totally dumbfounded and contemplating of giving up on the build altogether. Maybe this OEM version of the CPU is simply not supported by retail motherboards?

Do you guys have any other last minute tips/ideas before I throw in the towel?

UPDATE: ALL PROBLEM RESOLVED WOOOOHOOOOO!

Almost gave up and decided to plea for help online and an ex-lieutenant from the US Navy nuclear forces on anandtech saved my sorry butt. On a late Friday evening, he looked every every screenshot of my bios settings and told me to change two obscure XEON specific power saving features and it magically cleared up ALL my problems.

The following two are disabled on the BIOS:

- Disable C6 State Reporting
- Disable Spread Spectrum

Last edited:

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Running totally fine in my asrock X99 with rdimms, just passed a year recently.

Granted I am not dual socket like you but I have a bad history with asus workstation and server board "support" (linux? whats that? our customcrap hack that dell/hp/lenono don't do works fine on windows server 20xx). Kindof ironic since asrock was a part of them over a decade ago and they seem to have the best/first-to-market "enterprise feature on consumer budget" support.

Do you have any other board to test the cpus in, even single socket? You may just have gotten bad ones.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Running totally fine in my asrock X99 with rdimms, just passed a year recently.

Granted I am not dual socket like you but I have a bad history with asus workstation and server board "support" (linux? whats that? our customcrap hack that dell/hp/lenono don't do works fine on windows server 20xx). Kindof ironic since asrock was a part of them over a decade ago and they seem to have the best/first-to-market "enterprise feature on consumer budget" support.

Do you have any other board to test the cpus in, even single socket? You may just have gotten bad ones.
I've already tried two X10DAX in both dual and single mode without luck. These CPUs are going back for a refund and another pair is coming tomorrow/friday.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
If you have a microcenter or frys or whatever nearby, might be some dirt cheap open box asrock X99 boards to test.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
If you have a microcenter or frys or whatever nearby, might be some dirt cheap open box asrock X99 boards to test.
I am from Canada unfortunately and such options do not exist :( I've already tried two Supermicro board and now this ASUS board. The chances of having three bad motherboard in a row is very unlikely so now it comes down to the CPU.