drives disappeared after reboot dell r720

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fahadshery

Jan 12, 2021
Hi All,

I am running proxmox and got new HGST SAS drives. When I installed them (hot swap), they appeared in the disks. I then rebooted and everything disappeared.
I have H310 mini in IT mode.

Anyone has any idea what to do next?

Cheers,

Reactions: Samir

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
By IT mode do you mean flashed in IT mode or each drive set to individual drive raid-0?
Do the drives show in iDrac and/or does the controller show there? Are there any LED lights on the drives etc?

fahadshery

Jan 12, 2021
Sorry, I found the issue!

I had connected all SSDs and HDDs to the same H310 mini (in flashed IT mode).
When I was doing the PCI passthrough to the TrueNas VM (via proxmox). It would hang.
I think I will need to install an additional HBA and connect one backplane to it and pass it to the TrueNas VM.
Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Tons of options, I like option 4 because those sata doms are neat af and you dont have to use a drive slot for the os drive. Or if you already have a sata drive the caddy is easy too, no one needs it with flash drive or idrac iso boot nowadays anyway):
  1. Pretty sure there is a onboard sas connection you can use, theres a mini sas port near the raid controller internal slot labeled as a sas connector for software raid (P_SAS_PCH) you don’t need another controller you can use that.
  2. Additionally I’m also pretty sure you can install a boot bios even in it-mode so you can use one of the drives as a boot drive. (that said I haven’t done any of the IT mode flashes with the mini card, so I’m not sure if that process is different for that)
  3. Internal dvd sata port and power adapter cable adapter to connect a single drive for your os (note this port is sata II ~ 3Gb/s speed) Dell SATA And Power Cable - PowerEdge R720 - 0F6HJD/F6HJD | eBay
  4. Get a Sata dom drive to install the os: Dell Innodisk SATADOM-ML 3SE Series 64GB w/4-Pin Connector 0T4M4 | eBay
  5. Dvd to SSD caddy adapter using existing slot (also sata II limited): Amazon.com: Deyoung 2nd SATA Hard Drive HDD SSD Caddy Adapter for Dell PowerEdge R910 R710 R510 R520 R410 R310: Computers & Accessories