Double NAT headache, any solutions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
So I’ve got a modem + router from Vodafone (see attached image) and I connected to it the other day to see if I could disable the routing and it doesn’t look like I can. That’s annoying.

so it’s set to do DHCP at 192.168.0.0-255

there’s a cable from it to a layer 2 switch that connects to the rest of the cat5 jacks in the apartment from which my ASUS Wi-Fi router connects.

I guess I could turn my ASUS WiFi router’s DHCP off and just have it do Wi-Fi as it’s currently serving another range 192.168.1.1-255

The hope was to turn the modem into bridged mode and use a pfsense box for my firewall and routing but it looks like I’ll have to do all of that on the modem/router and turn the ASUS’s smarts off and just have it do WIFi but how? Is that possible if the ASUS doesn’t do DHCP and routing etc? Is there a way to simplify this setup? I’m open to using a cloud vps if I need to
The hope was to turn the modem into bridged mode and use a pfsense box for my firewall and routing but it looks like I’ll have to do all of that on the modem/router and turn the ASUS’s smarts off and just have it do WIFi but how? Is that possible if the ASUS doesn’t do DHCP and routing etc? Is there a way to simplify this setup? I’m open to using a cloud vps if I need to

I could turn off NAT on the ASUS it seems — just not sure what that would do

Attachments

Last edited:

psannz

Jun 15, 2016
Having had to deal with Vodafones' (incl. Unitymedia / KabelBW) DS-Lite stack from a corporate network side I can only feel your pain.
That Gigabit connection of theirs should be rebranded Packetloss or NOipsec or... things one does not mention in polite company. Or dodgy company. It's that bad.

elag

Dec 1, 2018
So I’ve got a modem + router from Vodafone (see attached image) and I connected to it the other day to see if I could disable the routing and it doesn’t look like I can. That’s annoying.

so it’s set to do DHCP at 192.168.0.0-255

there’s a cable from it to a layer 2 switch that connects to the rest of the cat5 jacks in the apartment from which my ASUS Wi-Fi router connects.

I guess I could turn my ASUS WiFi router’s DHCP off and just have it do Wi-Fi as it’s currently serving another range 192.168.1.1-255

I could turn off NAT on the ASUS it seems — just not sure what that would do

If using a single /24 range is ok, you could let the modem do the NAT. If you then turn DHCP off on the Asus you could connect the LAN connection of the Asus to the switch, ecffectively bridging the Wifi on the asus to the 192.168.0.0/24 of the modem. The modem will then provide DHCP to the wifi clients ad route their traffic.
That way you will have only single NAT in the modem. But the limitations that the Vodafone modem give you stink....

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
If using a single /24 range is ok, you could let the modem do the NAT. If you then turn DHCP off on the Asus you could connect the LAN connection of the Asus to the switch, ecffectively bridging the Wifi on the asus to the 192.168.0.0/24 of the modem. The modem will then provide DHCP to the wifi clients ad route their traffic.
That way you will have only single NAT in the modem. But the limitations that the Vodafone modem give you stink....
Yeah I thought about that. And it’s a viable solution. It’s just that yeah I’m limited by the modem. The modem also has a stupid memory leak I think as I have to restart it about every week. I want to just throw it and the service out the window but alas