Domain share in Linux

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Komic45

May 11, 2017
Long time lurker, first time poster :)
I have a working Windows Server 2012 R2 Domain share that mounts in Linux, I can access the files and everything works properly just as I want it to.

However, this only works if the domain account that is used mount the share is a member of the Domain Admin group. Is there a way to get this to work without having to make the account a Domain Admin?

I log into the linux box with said domain account. Thanks.

Komic45

May 11, 2017
Not really an "open share", it's a share that requires username/password and has read-only permissions. I can get it to work when the account is in the domain admin group, but when I remove it from the domain admin group I can no longer access the share.

Komic45

May 11, 2017
That was the issue! I had only granted the domain user "share" access(sharing tab), but no rights to the share(security tab in windows). I can mount the share in Linux with the non-domain admin account now. Thank you!

As a quick follow-up question, I assume the domain user still needs to have permissions to the share?

Letzki

Nov 15, 2016
Sorry, its not rights. Its permissions. :) But yes the user still needs permissions to the share.
Normaly we give full control permissions at share level, and restrict at the ntfs level (security tab in windows).