Does there exist a 3x5.25 to 5x3.5 drive rack that's slotted?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I've noticed most of the drive racks are solid on the sides and have accompanying reviews on websites (newegg, amazon) where users state that bending or cutting the tabs on the inside of the optical bays off otherwise these racks don't install. Assuming your case has them.

So has anyone found a rack that is properly slotted? It seems like the only ones that are only do 4x3.5".

Last edited:

epimetheus

Jan 15, 2013
I doubt you'll find a 5 bay 3x5.25 with slots. I think it's a simple physics issue. The dimensions for the slots plus 5 drives adds up to more that 5.25".

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
@cesmith9999 as pointed out you're missing the key requirement. The case they are trying to put this in has little shelf type tabs that stick out between each 5.25 bay. The solid sides in everything you posted will bump into these and not fit in. While the tabs can be cut out @frogtech is looking to see if a solution exists where notches are cut in to allow the tabs to pass through. This is common enough on 4 drive racks, but not 5.

See the highlighted area below for an example.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I actually didn't realize that there's no slots on them cause there's basically no room for them to be slotted. The drives themselves in their stacked config basically make it architecturally impossible to put slots in it