Does Skylake NUC have 4K 10bit HEVC hardware decoding support?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Can anyone tell me if skylake based NUC has 4K 10bit HEVC hardware decoding support? i know on my cherry trail tablet, only 8bit 4K hevc is supported. so it can't really play any 4k 10bit hevc file smoothly at all.

Kinda an important question for htpc usage i think.

Danic

Feb 6, 2015
jrdm.us

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
a lot of material on the internet and torrents are in 10 bit HEVC. for some reasons, these encoders just like to encode their stuffs in 10bit, which really don't make much sense over 8 bit. And that goes for a lot of 1080p as well as 4K stuffs.

The problem is that the current skylake and cherry trail only do hardware hevc at 8 bit so there lies the problem even for 1080p 10bit which doesn't get hardware decoded. I know the cpu has enough power to decode within software but you still can encounter possible stuttering. This probably apply more to atom cpu which doesnt have enough power to decode 4k without hardware acceleration....

Scott15966

Sep 13, 2016
Danic, are you sure that 10bit isn't supported? The first link you posted seems to say that the HD Graphics 520 (which I believe the i3 NUC has) does support hardware acceleration of 10 bit HEVC. Or am I reading it wrong? I'm pretty new at this stuff.
I haven't found anything online stating whether the Irish Graphics 540 (i5 NUC) does 10bit.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Danic, are you sure that 10bit isn't supported? The first link you posted seems to say that the HD Graphics 520 (which I believe the i3 NUC has) does support hardware acceleration of 10 bit HEVC. Or am I reading it wrong? I'm pretty new at this stuff.
I haven't found anything online stating whether the Irish Graphics 540 (i5 NUC) does 10bit.
CPU usage of greater than 15-20% is fairly indicative of incomplete hardware acceleration with possible partial software or cpu help. On my PC, with gtx 950, playing 4K 10bit HEVC files uses basically 1 or 2% over idle. playing it on the monitor connected to the nvs 510 which does not have hevc acceleration would results in almost 10% cpu usage on my desktop.

They should have compared it to 8bit HEVC playback.

There is absolutely no reason for that high of CPU usage if it was indeed hardware based decoded by the GPU.

They should have also run GPU-Z during playback to see what is the usage of the gpu

Reactions: Scott15966

Danic

Feb 6, 2015
jrdm.us
CPU usage of greater than 15-20% is fairly indicative of incomplete hardware acceleration with possible partial software or cpu help.
That^.
I 'knew' that 10bit HEVC hardware acceleration was not fully supported on skylake, its some kind hybrid/partial support. If op was getting i5/i3 NUC it should have enough CPU power to do the hybrid decode.

Reactions: KioskAdmin

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
That^.
I 'knew' that 10bit HEVC hardware acceleration was not fully supported on skylake, its some kind hybrid/partial support. If op was getting i5/i3 NUC it should have enough CPU power to do the hybrid decode.
That might be fine with desktop to have partial cpu decode since you have basically unlimited power from wall outlet. but for laptop and tablet, that's completely unacceptable. Esp tablet which has limited cpu power so you get jerky playback if even playing at all. on top of that, your battery will get drained like there's no tomorrow.

Kevk74

Jan 11, 2017
The answer is no, the Skylake only has 8bit support and you are absolutely right, encoders are using it to encode even 720p 5.1 video in 10bit HEVC to get those file sizes down. I am mildly livid over Apple's decision to first, have H265 hardware decoding blocks in A8 and above, but refuse to pay the royalties for the patent, which would have retroactively made them pay a near $1 per EVERY iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, 6s/6s Plus (even iPhone 7/7 plus.

It even keeps access to it from any third party apps WILLING to incorporate the cost unlike how Dolby's assertion of their DTS and AC3 was handled which allowed player apps like Infuse 4 Pro to charge a fee to play those audio codecs. VLC interestingly enough being open source freeware had a big problem to overcome, having to PULL that audio support until it was able to (I imagine) leverage APPLE's payment to the Dolby creators to get functionality back on VLC on iOS 9.3.3. Unfortunately it seems the same can't be done on player by player app basis when dealing with H265 be it 8bit or 10Bit. I still can NOT believe they'd release their new MacBook Pro lineup without Kaby Lake 10Bit support. The ONLY new MacBook Pro that has hardware acceleration for 10Bit (Main10) is the new 15" Retina MBP and that is only b/c of its AMD Polaris graphics that supports it.

Don't be fooled by PS4 Pro describing their graphics as using Polaris Architecture, it is NOT Polaris Graphics, barely a GTX 470 and does NOT support hardware H265 and is all being done by the AMD Jaguar CPU which seems to manage a software decode and smooth (enough) playback or 1080p 10Bit HEVC anyway... Basically only the Roku 4 Ultra & Roku Premiere+, Amazon Fire TV 2nd Gen (big fat "no" on Apple TV 4) support Main 10, 10Bit H265 HEVC and then a "handful" of Snapdragon mobile CPUs like 820 & 821 and then some just include 10Bit h265 hardware decoding blocks like the Snapdragon 617.

Then there are a few "hybrid" software/hardware supporting Snapdragons like in a Note 4 which btw, it a beast of a phone, with 4 giant Krait 2.7 cores and runs Adreno 420 graphics yet is being destroyed by Samsung's poorly designed version of Marshmallow. These Octacore designs are already being abandoned b/c most apps can only leverage 1-2 cores and it's not secret 4 big cores are going to mop the floor with any "Big Little" design were you supposedly have 4 "bigger" cores and 4 little cores and switch between them depending on the task being asked to save on power. Sure there is some power savings but the complications in the design basically killed off any effiencies gained.

Meanwhile $850 VERY CAPAPLE phones like Note 4s w/QHD displays, 800 series Snappdragons and Adreno 420 graphics are being BRICKED by Samsung'a recently Android 6.0.1 releases. After the Note 7 chaos called on everyone in Samsung to jump in to attempt to salavage, now they struggle to even get ONE phone (S7) on Nougat 7.0, while much lesser devices like Nexus 6 already are running 7.1.1. Combine that with a rush to get their VR Gear to market, they are spread so thin that beautiful and perfectly ample devices like Note 4 are left with a barely functioning OS and no one there to work on fixing.

Their "solution" is to convince you it's obsolete when I can personally testify it can smoothly run 10Bit h265 1080p HEVC AC3 5.1 as is. I know this sounds like a bit of a tagent but point is there is issue from Apple to Samsung and making sure devices that are capable are being allowed to use their full potential. Others are being cheap and purposefully avoiding patents and leaving hardware dormant and devices like A8 chip will never see the potential given to the user who shelled out $950 thinking there IPhone 7 plus or WORSE, there $1899 could do run any technology current available. What was the hard in giving the ATV 4 ability to play h265? Over $1 and $5 design change? Roku Ultra managed it for $129 as well as the alternative to H265, VP9.

Last edited:
Reactions: KioskAdmin

Kinetic

May 31, 2017
If what you're really asking is can you play this content successfully if you buy a Skylake processor?

Then yes, I'm running an atom N3700 as my set top box, and can play content successfully up to 1080p, HEVC-10 and VP9 isn't a problem and it doesn't stutter or lag in either youtube or HEVC/265 movies.

In late 2015, I got one of these:
ASRock > N3700-ITX (atom chip is contained on the board).

It's my 3rd Set top box, and they usually get replaced every 24 to 36 months, pending if they die from being always on, or just lag behind in processing power. I will note that they're great on power, the entire box only using 18watts of electricity at full power, that's less than $35 AUD/year, and it's fanless, so no noise while you're watching a movie.

I haven't got a 4K screen, so I can't comment on that, but 1080p is fine provided you run the correct browser. Internet explorer was the only browser that used hardware decoding - even it was experimental in Chrome until recently. You can type chrome://cpu in the address bar and see if hardware decoding is available and turned on.

You can use DXVA checker to see which formats are supported by your processor.
Any hardware acceleration of VP9 or HEVC(10-bit) for Celeron N3150(braswell)?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I play this content on a Roku... there's a lot of BS going around about playing this content via plex... if you can transcode you can play it on the Roku. I know I do with 0 problem.

Thus, you can easily play it on ANY PC pretty much if you compare to Roku specs.