Does new processors always have been only accessible for OEM ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ElementalCyclone

Apr 28, 2021
Indonesia
Recently i was looking for boxed 3rd Gen Xeon Scalable for building a rack server. I can not find any retailer physical, nor online store that sells it. This confuses me, as from what i heard, this is also kind of happened to 3rd Gen EPYC.

So, is this always happened before ? for new generation, server oriented processor to not available for retail purchase and only available through OEM/build-up servers ?

Then when can i expect these processors, especially Xeons, to be available for retail purchase ?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
These are very supply-limited even though Intel said they are not. For the higher-end parts, they are starting to come online. For some of the lower-end parts I actually think it will be a while longer. If you look at the PowerEdge R750 as an example, it is "call for pricing" and that is due to Ice Lake chip availability Dell EMC PowerEdge R750 Rack Server | Dell USA

ElementalCyclone

Apr 28, 2021
Indonesia
For the higher-end parts, they are starting to come online.
I am not sure . . . . since I haven't found one though. So it's like the high core count ones are 'somewhat' available already for end-user to purchase then ? where am i supposed to look for this ?

OEMs always comes first :)
Well, sad, this put a barrier for small adopters. But normally, before this whole COVID happens, how long will it takes for the new product to hit the retail shelf from the day it's announced ?

Last edited:

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
There's plenty of them in China. If you can't find it online you can ask some retailers to order them even if it's not listed on their site. I think the availability for motherboard is more of a concern than for CPUs ;) For now Supermicro only accepts orders for like more than 100 units.

And yes, the newest gen will always be OEM exclusive at first. For example, LGA3647 stepping 3 units like P-8136 and P-8124, are exclusive to AWS, which is about half a year earlier than when the stepping 4 version enters retail market.

ElementalCyclone

Apr 28, 2021
Indonesia
ask some retailers to order them even if it's not listed on their site.
This is a great idea, maybe next time I'll do this.

I think the availability for motherboard is more of a concern than for CPUs
Well I guess my region is a weird one then, because in contrary, I can easily order the motherboard from local e-commerce. It is related to my question in the post actually, as before this, I already found online local retailer(s) that can sell directly to me a 3rd gen Xeon motherboard, just like when you buy something from amazon, weird . . .