does MB reboot , reset the backplane? (supermicro)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
first off, more than likely I will not end up doing this below, and I’ll be able to test this in about a week or two so I’ll update.

in my office lab set up that I’m redoing: (is all supermicro)- I’m going to have a 4u , 24 bay x9 system running freenas.

i’m then going to have 2x 3U 16 bay disk shelves/jbod type chasis with sas2 expander backplanes connected to the 4u freenas systems external HBA ports

since I’m running VMware on some separate hosts, I was thinking maybe I could stick a X10 soc embedded miniATX MB into one of the 3u jbod disk shelves, since they will already have a power supply and unused ATX connector.

My question is, if I were to warm/OS reboot that miniatx board, does the backplane power get cycled also? keep in mind they are both using the same power supply of-course.
( a backplane power cycle of a disk shelf would obviously be a problem for the freenas sys)

clearly I also couldn’t shut down the mini ATX system either. (Part of why this is a bad idea but I’m kind of curious) . i’m aware supermicro makes those little Jbod daughterBoard/motherboard things more for this scenario , but i was curious.

thanks (and will update when i test this)